aftermarket cooking grates for Genesis Silver B

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Has anyone purchased any of the lower priced aftermarket ceramic coated steel cooking grates for a Genesis Silver B. I have a refurb grill project that is completed and I just need new Flavorizer bars and cooking grates for it. Since it is a flip, I don't want to invest in the higher end stainless or cast iron grates. But, I cannot find the Weber ceramic coated steel grates local or hardly anywhere on line for a reasonable price. It seems like they discontinued them or something. I can find the Flavorizer bars at Home Depot however. Just not the cooking grates.

I am wondering if a set of after market amazon or Ebay cooking grates would be a good idea?

Not sure how much you are wanting to spend but I've found the stainless bbq parts grates to be really good quality for a good price. I've bought both the lower priced half moon stainless and their solid for grates. Both are very nice.

https://www.bbqparts.com/silverb.htm

Not sure how much you are wanting to spend but I've found the stainless bbq parts grates to be really good quality for a good price. I've bought both the lower priced half moon stainless and their solid for grates. Both are very nice.

https://www.bbqparts.com/silverb.htm

I tried a set of aftermarket cast iron grates that are listed as 17 3/4'' x 11 15/16 on Amazon (search for Bar.b.q.s 7562) and they ended up being more than a half inch shorter. They weren't even 17.25" -> i had to send them back, as they were dangerously close to falling in.

Another option is Weber 65619 from grillparts.com - $49.99+$10 for shipping -> they are like the half moon stainless ones and not much more than aftermarket stamped stainless. I have a set in my possession and they are just like the stainless grates that came with my Gold.

Bar.b.q.s also has a set of 8mm solid stainless rod grates for $40 WITH shipping right now on ebay - they were priced higher earlier in the summer ($48-70):

ebay item # 182085075576 -> I don't have any experience with these but for $40 shipped I'd give them a try on a grill to be flipped. They are certainly not much more than what the stamped porcelain coated grates used to sell for.

Last edited:
Bruce if it was me I would buy the Webers on the site Jkim suggested or the ones that Greg half moons suggested which by the way are 304 stainless counts for something as I am going to buy those myself for the 1000. If J had a problem with the 7562 from them being to short not sure the 40 dollar solid would be any better same company. I had read reviews including the Hs grates being to short also.

I think if you get the stainless its a selling point over the ceramic steel they look nicer. They both are under 60 bucks the bbq 53 shipped.

Greg I think they are but are the bbq grates the right length front to back I guess they are because you seem happy with both.

Brian

I agree that everyone wants the solid rod stainless grates and I have them on my personal grill, but I have used the stainless "half moon" versions and they have lasted a very long time. The half moon version is much harder to clean but still a good option. I just put a set on the grill I restored for my son and they work great! Would also agree that stainless is a very good selling point for a flip!

Bruce if it was me I would buy the Webers on the site Jkim suggested or the ones that Greg half moons suggested which by the way are 304 stainless counts for something as I am going to buy those myself for the 1000. If J had a problem with the 7562 from them being to short not sure the 40 dollar solid would be any better same company. I had read reviews including the Hs grates being to short also.

I think if you get the stainless its a selling point over the ceramic steel they look nicer. They both are under 60 bucks the bbq 53 shipped.

Greg I think they are but are the bbq grates the right length front to back I guess they are because you seem happy with both.

Brian

Brian the ones I bought for my genesis were a good fit. But I bought mine for a genesis A not a 1000. But I assume the ones for the larger genesis would be a similar good fit.

I agree the half moons in stainless are really durable. The 1000 I inherited from my dad still had the original stainless half moon grates on it and they were just barely starting to disintegrate after almost 20 years. I think the ones from bbq parts would be similarly durable.

I have found I prefer the solid rod grates mainly because they are easier to clean. But if I were on a budget I would buy the half moon stainless grates again in a heartbeat.

Hmmmm, maybe I have to go stainless on the half moons then.. OK, thanks guys. I really appreciated the discussion and advice.
Bruce

I just sprung for both the SS Flavo Bars and SS stamped steel grates. Thanks again.
Bruce

Bruce give us an update when you get them as Greg said he got ones for his genesis A and they fit fine so hopefully these will also no reason to think they will not.

Brian

Last edited:
I just got the SS cooking grates and flavo bars from BBQParts.com and my impression is that they are definitely better than Weber porcelain coated steel grates and for sure on the flavo bars. I have a set of RCPlanebuyer flavo bars and these are not quite as heavy but still very quality parts. Being they are 304 stainless, they should last a very long time and I am very happy with them. They are priced pretty close to what it would cost for new Weber porcelain coated parts, but I would definitely go this route instead.

I just put the grill that I put them up on CL for sale. If you want to see what they look like: https://madison.craigslist.org/for/d/weber-silver-special-edition/6332989628.html

No problems with the fit either.

Bruce, that grill looks good.

I usually get the lid that clean on the inside as well but never that clean on the inside of the endcaps.

Techniically, that grill would be called a Silver B Premium and not Special Edition.

Premium....ok thanks. I will update the CL add. Weber support called them "Exclusive Models".

Great looking grill Bruce. Also liking the flavo bars and grates. You got me thinking twice now about those vs. RCplanebuyer. If there's no ebay coupon soon I may have to get the ones from bbqparts.com

Sam, If buying for a grill for myself that I intended to keep for a long time I would seriously consider RCPLanebuyer. A note to you and everyone else on this forum: Contact him direct and tell him that you were referred to him from this forum. He has to be careful about going around Ebay, but if you don't mention Ebay, and say you got his email from this forum, he can deal direct with you and might be able to cut you a little break usually, since he won't have to pay Ebay fees. Also, if you order more than one item, he might be able to co-ship them and save you some $$$ on the shipping. I think he only charges actual shipping cost.

But, if money is an issue, then I completely recommend the BBQParts SS grates and bars as a good value. It is a matter of: Do you want to drive a Cadillac Escalade and have $700 a month payments, or do you want to drive a Chevy Tahoe and pay $500 a month. Both get you where you want to go. But one gets you there in style and might last a bit longer.

If anyone cares for his (RCPlanebuyer) email address, PM me and I will give it to you. I don't want to post it publicly however.

Greg gave good guidance he had bought the half moons for a silver a if I remember so he did not of know whether the half moons were an okay fit for the 3 burners appears they are and this is the way I am going its the wife's grill never use it if its harder to clean them it will be me anyway. There are many reviews and Jkim pointed it out for the Amazon knock off's that they were short.

Sam to clarify let Bruce correct me these were not the solid rods they were the half moons in 304 stainless for about 53 shipped.

Bruce great job you should easily get the money you are asking for that grill it looks great.

Brian

Last edited:
They are half moons. Not solid rods. I got the set of stainless flavo bars and grates shipped via UPS ground to my door for $93.xx. They have a flat 8.99 shipping fee, so if you order several items, it is the same $8.99 shipping for everything which is nice. I don't know the exact break down of pricing for each, but you can go to their web page and check it out.

These were for the Silver B, three burner. If you are going to order flavo bars for the genesis 1000, the flavo bars will be a bit more since there are 13 of them total. If you want stainless for the Genny 1000 three burner, I highly suggest talking with RCPlanebuyer as I think his are very close in price to what BBQParts.com wants for them.

Back