Jammin' in JC last weekend

Scott Terril

TVWBB Member
Well, we competed in our first KCBS sanctioned event last weekend, Jammin' in JC. First off, let me say what a wonderful job the event organizers did. Lance Custer the head organizer was fantastic. The event ran smoothly and all the volunteers were incredibly helpful. The event provided a team dinner Friday night and a team breakfast Saturday morning. The bands were great as well. I would highly recommend putting this contest on your list if you live in the mid-west.

That being said..... OOOOOOFFFFFF! Man, there were some solid teams. Let's see, we had the 2015 World Food Championship and 2015 AR Invitational champions, the 2011 AR Invitational Reserved Champion, and the 2016 Great Lenexa BBQ Battle champion. Three of the top five finishers placed in the top 21 of this year's AR Open competition.

Needless to say, we didn't win. :cool: We finished 22 out of 35 teams which I thought was respectable. We were shooting for a top half placement so we were a little disappointed. Scores in the mid-160s except for brisket which was in the 150s. I think we are on track with chicken and pork and will be on ribs once we switch from babies to spares. Our appearance scores killed our ribs otherwise we might have walked. Brisket continues to baffle us...

Overall, we had a great time and have (I hope) some solid plans on how to improve. We have a quick turn-around because we are competing in Clinton, Missouri this weekend.

Scott

Congratulations on the finish with that field of teams. I was kicking myself Thursday night for not signing up but by that point it was to late. Good luck in Missouri this weekend. If you're looking for another contest later in October you might consider Harper, it's a very good competition that is well run.

Congratulations on the finish with that field of teams. I was kicking myself Thursday night for not signing up but by that point it was to late. Good luck in Missouri this weekend. If you're looking for another contest later in October you might consider Harper, it's a very good competition that is well run.

Thanks Nick! I would definitely recommend Jammin' in JC 2018 for any team in the area. Clinton, MO. this weekend has some heavy hitters too with SLAP's and Gettin' Basted among others. It's just really surprising the KCBS competitions get such strong teams out of the KC area... :cool:

Back