Difference in beef short ribs? Which do I have?

W_Stewart

TVWBB Fan
In reading Chris's cooking topics I see he documented 2 different types of beef short ribs, and the cooking time varied between them. He called one type beef plate short ribs and the other beef chuck short ribs.

I have a slab of these dino bones in the fridge where they will be rubbed with Holy Cow in the morning before going in the smoker. My package merely calls them angus beef short ribs, so how do I tell which type I have? I'd like to know for my notes.

Thanks!

They had to remove my ribs from cryovac but the label they put on my one rack (4 ribs) doesn't further identify it. How can I tell what I have right now? Should those NAMP numbers be on the cryovac?

Sounds like you have the plate ribs, they come 4 bones to a pack and are usually cut down into short pieces and just called short ribs.
If it's the BIG bones then thats what you got

Should those NAMP numbers be on the cryovac?
I wish. But no. Those numbers are used in the trade for specificity. No one believes that's needed for consumers so we get vague labels like "short ribs", "London Broil", etc. Read the NAMP descriptions, look at the pics and look at what you have and you should be able to determine the source.

In reading Chris's cooking topics I see he documented 2 different types of beef short ribs, and the cooking time varied between them. He called one type beef plate short ribs and the other beef chuck short ribs.

I have a slab of these dino bones in the fridge where they will be rubbed with Holy Cow in the morning before going in the smoker. My package merely calls them angus beef short ribs, so how do I tell which type I have? I'd like to know for my notes.

Thanks!

What you've got there is plate ribs.

Being they are marked short ribs, but are 10" or more they have to be the Plate short ribs or flanken ribs (just a different name). It just all depends upon what they call them in your part of the country. They usually come in 3 or 4 ribs plates. I buy them all the time and they are great!

I was in the grocery store yesterday so asked one of their butchers. He did not immediately answer and I had to explain I was reading how there are different cuts of these ribs. I said plate and I said chuck. He said they were chuck. Not sure I trust his answer. This is a regular grocery store butcher - I call him a butcher but could just be some guy who works the meat counter. He knows how to cut ribs in half and repackage them as short ribs.

Are you sure?

GCSzr45h.jpg

Lot of those guys are glorified meat wrappers, since everything went to boxes they might not even know where on the cow they came from.

Exactly! There are three guys at my local small market, if Russ is there, he will cut me anything I want, the other guys, "Don't know siccem" as my mother used to say!

Chuck Ribs are generally longer and the bones are very round by comparison to plate ribs. you find Plate rib bones to be very flat and without a doubt make the most tender & meatier ribs to cook. Only cooked them on my WSM once but my cook I placed on the "photo gallery" middle of last month. There very easy to do and my methods are simple concise and easy to understand. They came out fabulous. You just have to find a butcher you can trust, because as others have said, they don't show retailers the 123A number on the package. Plate ribs are 3 bone slabs ribs #s6-8 and the bones are very wide and flat. See link below.

https://aggiemeat.tamu.edu/123a-beef-plate-short-ribs-trimmed/

Back