LEDE USB-Serial Port support

It does not have support for usb-serial or usb-acm. I might consider including them as installable modules if there's a convincing reason to start building them. What are you trying to do?

I have an Edge LED light and was thinking it would be nice to use it as Smoker State by turning it RED for needing assistance, Green of no assistance, etc.. I could set an alarm script to post a Smoker State file in a shared folder and have another Raspberry Pi for the lights.

There are a bunch of ways you could do this depending on how the led is controlled.

You could tap into the alarm led voltage on the heatermeter, or the buzzer voltage. If you're going to use a 2nd raspi, you could simply check the json output of the heatermeter and trigger based on the output data.

Thanks Steve_M...

I think my best option is to use a 2nd RPi with multiple channels I have other ideas for lights.

Yeah I would agree. The best setup would be to just use the existing RPC mechanisms in HeaterMeter to/from another network connected device that is actually doing the LED control. That way you don't have to run a wire from the grill to your lighting arrangement. You can either stream the data from the HeaterMeter realtime or poll the status or like you've suggested, use alarm scripts to call out temperature triggers.

Information about calling into HeaterMeter is in the wiki Accessing Raw Data Remotely.

Apologies for bringing this one back from history ...

However, +1 the request for a kmod-usb-serial . I'm playing around with a cellular modem that is easiest to connect via usbserial, but I have other options. Anyway, I found the module in the lede-project repo, but it's for kernel 4.19.101-1, as opposed to 4.9.34. Been a few years since I last cross compiled kernel modules.

There's a ton of USB serial drivers and I don't want to include them all. Which do you need?
Code:
kmod-usb-serial-ark3116........ Support for ArkMicroChips ARK311
kmod-usb-serial-belkin........................ Support for Belki
kmod-usb-serial-ch341.......................... Support for CH34
kmod-usb-serial-cp210x........... Support for Silicon Labs cp210
kmod-usb-serial-cypress-m8.............. Support for CypressM8 U
kmod-usb-serial-edgeport............... Support for Digi Edgepor
kmod-usb-serial-ftdi............................ Support for FTD
kmod-usb-serial-garmin.................... Support for Garmin GP
kmod-usb-serial-ipw.................... Support for IPWireless 3
kmod-usb-serial-keyspan........ Support for Keyspan USB-to-Seria
kmod-usb-serial-mct.............. Support for Magic Control Tech
kmod-usb-serial-mos7720.............. Support for Moschip MOS772
kmod-usb-serial-option................... Support for Option HSD
kmod-usb-serial-oti6858...... Support for Ours Technology OTI685
kmod-usb-serial-pl2303............... Support for Prolific PL230
kmod-usb-serial-qualcomm................. Support for Qualcomm U
kmod-usb-serial-sierrawireless....... Support for Sierra Wireles
kmod-usb-serial-simple................ USB Serial Simple (Motoro
kmod-usb-serial-ti-usb...................... Support for TI USB 
kmod-usb-serial-visor............... Support for Handspring Viso
kmod-usb-serial-wwan..................... Support for GSM and CD

I could probably do ftdi, ch341, cp210x, pl2303 and wwan if you need one of those.

Well, I was wrong about serial. It's the cdc_acm driver I need.
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-usb-acm
Kernel modules -> USB support (USB_SUPPORT [=y]) -> Support for modems/isdn controllers (USB_ACM)

Last edited:
I decided to go for it and was able to build and install the cdc_acm.ko module and now have a /dev/ttyACM0.

I was actually successful building the entire snapshot LEDE environment on Windows 10 WSL 2 with Ubuntu 19.10. It required a few patches, but was mostly painless.

Last edited:
Nice! I've actually built this module into the standard snapshot now too, but I haven't pushed it yet. WSL is flippin' great and if I didn't already have everything in a VM I'd definitely use it to build the firmware as well.

Back