business offer (potentially)

TroyS

TVWBB Member
A friend is thinking of selling bbq periodically at his restaurant. The idea is to use my equipment, prepare and cook onsite at his business and serve bbq on occasion. More than likely the product will be purchased by the restaurant and I would prep and cook (when available) to add the bbq to his menu. Anyone ever done this before and or what would you charge, flat fee, per pound, by the hour, etc?

Anyone ever done this before and or what would you charge, flat fee, per pound, by the hour, etc?
We have tons of micro brews in my area, and they often have "events." I've prepared roasted wings, roasted pizza, even tacos prepared on my comal. I kick back 20% of my sales. It's a lot of BBQing to make $500 in a day, and then to give up $100 of it....I rarely do it any more, it's more work than worth

We have tons of micro brews in my area, and they often have "events." I've prepared roasted wings, roasted pizza, even tacos prepared on my comal. I kick back 20% of my sales. It's a lot of BBQing to make $500 in a day, and then to give up $100 of it....I rarely do it any more, it's more work than worth

I can understand that and it does seem as if the payout lags way behind the work involved (researching vendors). Probably the best route will be to just openly discuss what their business is willing to pay for the service. Bottom line will be the bottom line.....for both of us, lol. Thanks for the response I appreciate it.

Make sure you check the local health department regulations, they vary a lot so. You might be having a wonderful day and the inspector stops by and shuts you down.

Make sure you check the local health department regulations, they vary a lot so. You might be having a wonderful day and the inspector stops by and shuts you down.

Along with liability insurance, registering your business entity, reporting income, sales tax reporting (though you might not collect sales tax on your goods), etc. If you are collecting income in exchange for goods or a service that you provide then you are in business. I'm not an attorney but you might explore the possibility of being an employee of your friend's restaurant and being on payroll under some negotiated terms. Some people can be strange creatures and look for opportunity to report inappropriate business practices.

Along with liability insurance, registering your business entity, reporting income, sales tax reporting (though you might not collect sales tax on your goods), etc. If you are collecting income in exchange for goods or a service that you provide then you are in business. I'm not an attorney but you might explore the possibility of being an employee of your friend's restaurant and being on payroll under some negotiated terms. Some people can be strange creatures and look for opportunity to report inappropriate business practices.

Being a temporary employee for the establishment (versus being a sub-contractor) might be the best way to go. It makes the establishment responsible (and liable) for the product. Let them buy the supplies and rent your equipment while giving you an hourly wage and a percentage of sales. Let them figure out the pricing while you just cook.

Thank you all for the information. The employee route does sound like a better option.

Back