Shis Kebobs

DBono

TVWBB Super Fan
HI All I finally got around to making Shis Kebobs..I used Prime top round London Broil. The meat had looked good before cooking, nice marbling and so on. I might have over cook them? Some pieces were really tough!! What beef to use next time?
Here are some pics, they looked better then came out!!!
How do I get the pics from Imgur to show up instead of the links?
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
I've never used London Broil for shish kabobs. To me, the only way to cook London Broil is to marinade it and cook it to medium rare, then slice thinly across the grain. For kabobs, I use tenderloin (filet hunks) or a tender sirloin. Much better for thick hunks of meat.

Pics of cooks should go in the Photo Gallery .

Go back to imgur and find your pic(s). Right click on them one at a time and "open in new tab". Then go to that tab, copy and paste the url in your new thread. That url has to have
at the end of the url.

0jtNUt3_d.jpg

Last edited:
Hi I couldn't find the url with the img? I right clicked the pic didn't see the url?
Thanks Dan

Hey Dan! Are you doing Imgur from your phone or pc? I've found it annoying and hard to use the app on my phone. So, I just log in on the pc and click the copy button next to the "BB Code."

Hi I using Imgur from my computer. Will give it a try. It worked :) Now to make the pic smaller?
Thanks DanB

Last edited:
Interesting, I just did some kebabs last night!
I don't go quite as large as you did, my wife prefers her beef pretty much don't to death and I like a little life left in mine so, hers go on about a week before mine and we're both happy.
I have used chuck, round steak, sirloin pretty much whatever was cheap at the given moment, marinated for as long as was convenient. Meat on one and vegetables, done a la "James Garner", in the salad!
Yours look just fine to me!

Hi I using Imgur from my computer. Will give it a try. It worked :) Now to make the pic smaller?
Thanks DanB

Hi Dan!! So, at the bottom of the part of the screen where you copy the "BB Code" you'll see the sizes listed. Click on that before copying the code and pasting it here. For reference, I use the size called "large thumbnail" in my posts.

Thanks will it a try. Got it !! Now "IF" could only get the Shis Kebobs down right.
Dan

Last edited:
Now to make the pic smaller?
Another approach is to resize them as you upload them. I like to post photos at 1024x768 (I keep hi-res originals on my computer, not Imgur), so I upload them as 1024x768.

If you click your name at the top right and select "Images" you get the layout shown below. Click "Auto Resize" and select a smaller photo dimension. When you click "Add Images" and upload new photos, they'll auto-size to the size you selected.

FakxS3Q.jpg

Now that we've got the technical stuff out of the way... :D

London Broil is a horrible cut of meat, sorry to say. Very lean, very livery in flavor. Life is too short to buy, cook, and eat London Broil!

I have adapted this recipe several times with great success:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?31685-Kabobs-from-America-s-Test-Kitchen

I used a nice top sirloin steak or skinless chicken breast and I stoop so low as to use bottled teriyaki marinade, not the marinades listed. The keys are:

1. Have a good quality metal skewer that prevents meat from spinning around (either a two-prong or flat skewer).
  2. Cut the meat and veg into the sizes specified, they cook faster and more evenly this way.
  3. Thread them onto the skewers in the order specified for good looks.
Here's a photo of a chicken version. Beef is done the same way. Maybe brush with more marinade during cooking for added flavor.

6umYqhx.jpg

Chicken, orange pepper, onion, yellow pepper, chicken, red pepper, onion, orange pepper, chicken, yellow pepper, onion, red pepper, chicken. I spray with Pam to prevent sticking.

SJMoGpk.jpg

I often do entire skewers of pineapple chunks separately, then remove them to a serving bowl as a side to the kebobs. You can see some in this photo.

O3oxBBU.jpg

Top round is like flank or tri-tip. You really need to not overcook it and need to slice it against the grain after cooking. Not the best choice for kebabs as a result. Try any cut from the strip loin, short loin or tenderloin. Or my favorite: chuck top blade (flat iron).

Top round is like flank or tri-tip. You really need to not overcook it and need to slice it against the grain after cooking. Not the best choice for kebabs as a result. Try any cut from the strip loin, short loin or tenderloin. Or my favorite: chuck top blade (flat iron).

Hi How about prime sirloin? My local market has sirloin steak on sale this week.
Thanks Dan

A local chain grocery store used to cut tri tips for me at the same sale price of sirloin steaks.
Now they use them for store made shish kabobs.

Hi All The Prime sirloin came out pretty good, nice and tender, but I did miss the char..I didn't want to over cook to over cooks these.
Dan

Last edited:

Back