Smoked Bottom/Outside Round

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
This is a continuation of my thread Ribs & Outside Round Smoke

This is how it started using a mostly-black-pepper (along with other lesser "players") rub:
omlFvQL.jpg

And this is when it came out
ms66Ali.jpg

And now onto Hobie (my slicer):
RTysp86.jpg

Side view:
SApbwKn.jpg

There is a miniscule smoke ring (after all, it was only in the WSM for 2 hr (~3lb) and pulled out at 131o

AND the finished product
v3yvnNh.jpg

Oh my, it does taste as good as it looks.

Upside to using the slicer it is way quick at paper thin (or whatever you want) slices.
Downside is it takes 4x as long to clean and sanitize it than it took to slice this 3 lb roast.

Lunch today:
oXeTpAl.jpg

Now, get your face towel and wipe the drool off your 'puter screen :)

Last edited:
Man that looks good!! I'll also admit a little jealousy over having a slicer. I could really use one with all the bacon I've made. Dad has one that he never uses. I might have to steal it. But, I digress...I must admit that I am still hung up on that pie. Great food!!

I agree, if a better design for a slicer comes along (that really works) I would love one!! Actually I'd love one anyway and just deal with the cleaning. Just had lunch and I'm hungry again!

Man, that is a great looking sandwich. I agree with you on the slicer, but its worth it.

And BTW, that tomato looks great too. Home grown?

Terrific looking sandwich Len. Got my slicer a little over a year ago and it's not bad to clean. Not nearly as bad as the food processor.

Man Len, you did a awesome job on that cook. I sure would take that plated plate of food any time.

Worth it! Yeah the slicers are a pain to clean but really doesn't take that long..... mine (a cheapie) has a plate that comes off the front, a small tool to remove the blade.

Smoked bottom / outside round?

I'm clueless as to what that means, Len, but can you post your marinate (or rub), and how long it seasoned in the fridge before smoking?

Looks terribly good. :cool: Mail me a few slices.

EDIT: As for slicing the meat, I wonder if one could get a local butcher to slice one up. Back in my post-grocery store days, the meat department would slice a canned ham (Christmas gift) for me even though I didn't work there anymore.

Back