Micro Damper Question

Mike Smith DFW

TVWBB Member
Hi guys,

first off, THANK YOU to BRYAN MAYLAND and STEVECK for being amazingly helpful with my heater meter build.

I successfully soldered my own HM and it works!!! If I had to do it again though I would get it predone. I didn't realize it was so many solders.

I also built my micro damper. Oh man that thing is snug in there but it works.

I think I messed up my servo somehow so for now I have removed it.

My question it this. How much control will I have with the micro damper if I don't use a servo?

Im thinking of just going without the servo as it is so tight in there.

Thanks all.

Hey great work on the soldering, it is great to hear when things go together well for folks!

The low airflow restriction design of the microdamper means it is going to allow a lot of air to get sucked through naturally if there's no servo there to close off the damper. I've never tried a cook without the damper, but we did all used to just have the bare fans strapped to our smokers before these great designs were created. The difference is you need to make sure your smoker is somewhat air tight or at least restricts the air enough that when the fan is off, the pit temperature drops. On my big green egg, that meant closing the top vent to the point that a toothpick could pass through one of the star holes on top. It was just enough to let the smoke out but not enough for too much air to get sucked in. If that's not enough to allow temperature control, you could always put a piece of tape over one of the intake holes of the microdamper to restrict it further.

I think it will work, but you'll need to just figure out how to make sure you're not getting too much air in naturally. Good luck!

Hey great work on the soldering, it is great to hear when things go together well for folks!

The low airflow restriction design of the microdamper means it is going to allow a lot of air to get sucked through naturally if there's no servo there to close off the damper. I've never tried a cook without the damper, but we did all used to just have the bare fans strapped to our smokers before these great designs were created. The difference is you need to make sure your smoker is somewhat air tight or at least restricts the air enough that when the fan is off, the pit temperature drops. On my big green egg, that meant closing the top vent to the point that a toothpick could pass through one of the star holes on top. It was just enough to let the smoke out but not enough for too much air to get sucked in. If that's not enough to allow temperature control, you could always put a piece of tape over one of the intake holes of the microdamper to restrict it further.

I think it will work, but you'll need to just figure out how to make sure you're not getting too much air in naturally. Good luck!

thanks a bunch. your video definitely came in VERY handy

my uds is very well sealed so im hoping it works. for some reason my uds like a lot of air (have been using a pitmaster iq120)

Back