The Absolutely Perfect Burger

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I've been doing the same burger recipe for several years now, and don't deviate except on occasion. Tonight, I mixed it up a bit and tried the "Absolutely Perfect Burger". I have to say it came pretty close to living up to its name. I cheated and did them on the Genesis, but here's the article/recipe if you want to give it a try: https://www.washingtonian.com/2015/07/02/the-15-step-absolutely-perfect-burger/

I also made the mayo/ketchup/pickle juice/sriracha spread and it was perfect not only on the burgers, but as a dipping sauce for some tater tots.

Here they are, pre dimple:

37316144145_6a327ec365_c.jpg

At the flip:

36478403734_f030e68049_c.jpg

And ready to eeet with some heirloom tomato and butter lettuce:

36918201720_ceb81eb876_c.jpg

36918201920_f5d154c487_c.jpg

Great burger recipe. I highly recommend it. It was great on the grill, and I imagine it'd be even better on a CI skillet with more crust.

Last edited:
From your link:
10) Lay the patty down. “Never, ever, ever press it down. Be gentle. Gentle, gentle, gentle. There are natural air pockets between the fibers, little tiny ones. You want moisture to get into those pockets and stay there. Leave the patty loose.”

Which is what I've always done.

Frankly, I'm puzzled as to why anyone would do THIS

I've been doing the same burger recipe for several years now, and don't deviate except on occasion. Tonight, I mixed it up a bit and tried the "Absolutely Perfect Burger". I have to say it came pretty close to living up to its name. I cheated and did them on the Genesis, but here's the article/recipe if you want to give it a try: https://www.washingtonian.com/2015/07/02/the-15-step-absolutely-perfect-burger/
Excellent burgers, especially on national cheese burger day

National Cheeseburger Day. That's a new one on me.

I bet they were good, Jim. I prefer to flatten mine "before" they hit the grill, but I may try your sauce.

Thanks for sharing Jim. Those look great. I'll be trying this real soon. I've been using Duke's mayo for years and I've got a big old bottle of fish sauce, never thought to use it with burgers.

I think that "The Burger Guru" has a couple of good ideas, but fish sauce on a burger? No thanks. Give up my grill and use only cast iron for
burgers? No thanks again to the self proclaimed "guru". There are many ways to get a perfect burger. For me simpler is better.

Did this last night, it was really pretty amazing the difference in taste. Probably my favorite way for flat patties. Haven't tried it with a thicker grilled patty.

Daum

I gave a couple of The Burger Guru's tips a try today....

* 2.25 lbs of cheap meat.....70/30 ground beef
* 1 pack of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing powder (from Myron Mixon)
* 4 tablespoons Duke's
* 3 tablespoons Lea & Perrin's roostershire (don't have fish sauce on hand...and see no reason to buy any)
* formed into 5 patties
* I let them cook 2/3 done before the one flip
* American cheese on them after coming off the grill

Cooked over Kingsford charcoal. I love the flavor.

My family seemed to love them. I'll get one later on when I get hungry. Gonna dress it out with Duke's mayo, tomato, bacon on top......mustard and Famous Dave's pickles on the bottom.

I'll see how it compares to my normal favorite method....Vidalia onions, jalapeños and Don's Seasoning Delight mixed into the ground chuck and smashed on the grill top griddle.

I see no reason why I have to stay wed to one burger method, lol.

For what it's worth......the smoke was enough to drive folks into a feeding frenzy. Wife and son pulled up in the driveway about 5 mins apart and both immediately came to the back deck to confirm that was "their" burger smoke and not one of the neighbors grilling. :) There isn't much else that pleases me more as a griller....burger smoke settling in over the neighborhood.

Burgers were decent, but I think they had too much going on inside the patties. I'm sorry, Myron Mixon, I don't care for ranch dressing in my burgers, lol.

It was worth a try.

Last edited:

Back