q setup modifications

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
Just want to see or hear about mods you have done to your q setup. Not the actual q but anything is accepted. I have my q220 on a weber portable cart. But I find the need for more hooks and for sure a way to hold a can of pam and beer. I'm thinking of putting bicycle water bottle holders on each front leg for that. Just hoping some of you are more inventive than I.

My answer to that was to run a piece of bamboo from the lower rear leg to the upper front underside of the shelf. I do find the surface being slippery. So I plan on getting some rubber or similar material and cut it to fit the shelf properly. I think that would cure that issue. I saw a pic of someone putting some nice wood to fit. Sure looked great.

I took my tables off. I was always worried my trays of food would slide off.

Kinda like cutting off your nose to spite your face. FWIW I have always used my side tables and they are able to hold a surprising load.

Kinda like cutting off your nose to spite your face. FWIW I have always used my side tables and they are able to hold a surprising load.

More like taking trying to eat when my wisdom wisdom teeth hurt. When I put trays of food on the side tables they sag (q220 from 2004). I have to be aware of where I put items to balance the load. Grilling is supposed to be fun. Adding a brace would solve this problem, but I like to have a stable work surface.

I know the tables sag a bit thus my adding the sticks to brace them a bit. But I have so far not heard of a table breaking or collapsing. For sure they were just added for light use and convenience. I wouldn't be without mine. But again I do find the slippery surface annoying.

Mine "flex" too but I have never had anything drop off or break. So yeah they flex but for what they are they are incredibly strong. Can't see the reasoning of taking them off just because they flex a little. Common sense would tell anyone that you don't put a 10lb tray of food on them. But a plate with some burgers or a place to hang the tools they work just fine

Easy guys, this is a post about q mods, not q mods we think are good or bad. Walt saw a need, and he addressed it his way, plain and simple. Let's not roast the guy for seeing something in a different light. Myself, I love the tables, but will soon be adding the braces George has mentioned, because after all, while pretty darn strong, they do flex quite a bit...that, and a thermometer.
Tim

I'm kinda laughing because I sort of expected more but then there really is no need for mods the q is that good. So far, no tables and table props. Not sure what I was expecting.

My Q1000 sits on a firetable. It is kind of fun to have a fire going on it at night while the Q is cooking. My only mod
is to use 2 of the 13-3/4" Grillgrates on top of the cast iron grate.

My mods are, I use the cake cooling rack over doubled aluminum foil with slits in the foil for grease on my "naked" Q220 for pizzas and indirect roasting. "Naked", because I also removed my flip-up tables--

The Q grills were made to be simple yet very effective grills. You start adding all the bells and whistles and pretty soon you have a rolling Spirit E210 with a dome lid.

If you want all the other stuff, find a good used Spirit or Genesis and fix it up with all the shelves and rotisseries and warming racks and storage compartments you want.

George: you don't need to do any mod. All you need is an adapter hose for the 20# tanks. They cost $15-$25. I run every one of my Q grills off of the 20# tanks. You don't need a whole new regulator.

I run my q with a 20 lb tank. Several times the flame was nit up to snuff so I just turned it off and waited a few minutes and I was good to go. Not sure why folks have issues still.

Back