help me pick new HeaterMeter - thermocouple vs thermistor?

Andrew Flusche

TVWBB Member
Hi everyone,

I built my first HeaterMeter for my smoker many years ago. Now I'm helping my church group start smoking delicious meats, and I need to get 2 HeaterMeters for the new WSM's we're buying.

We're on a tight budget, so money is a concern. It looks like the thermocouple probes are darn pricey (at least at Thermoworks), so I may need to go with thermister. Or can I get the thermocouple version HeaterMeter and just use a thermistor pit probe for now? It's not clear to me if the thermocouple version supports BOTH types of pit probes interchangeably.

Or maybe there's a good inexpensive thermocouple probe that would work well.

Thanks for any pointers you guys have!
Andrew

Build the thermocouple version. There are plenty of cheaper TCs out there. You can always use any of the food probes as pit probes by disabling the TC input in the configuration.

I make my own TCs, and will be making a few more this weekend, so maybe I can ship you a couple to try out. Sounds like a good cause, anyway.

Build the thermocouple version. There are plenty of cheaper TCs out there. You can always use any of the food probes as pit probes by disabling the TC input in the configuration.

I make my own TCs, and will be making a few more this weekend, so maybe I can ship you a couple to try out. Sounds like a good cause, anyway.

Thank you so much for the advice and the offer. Glad to know we can use either type of probe, so TC version seems to be the way to go.

Back