Gardening

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
We've generally got a great growing season here in S Ontario. I'm currently growing some peppers (in pots as they have to come indoors in the winter).

I've got 4 orange habaneros growing--~300,000 SHU. Two plants have got 6-10 peppers on them that are just ripening. The other two never got a flower. Weird.

B7e1mjy.jpg

I've also got my pride and joy: a Trinidad Scorpion --1,000,000 SHU. First pepper is just ripening now (half green half orange). So cool

1uXuH9j.jpg

Already made some hot sauce with 4 of the habs. MMMMM :D

They are now turning a deep red from the prior orange. There are about 12 of them on this plant.
pqLLs5f.jpg

Have you guys ever dehydrated jalapeno's? I do them very year.

I slice them in half, lengthwise, de-seed/de-vein them and then slice each half (again, lengthwise) into 3-4 slices.

After they are dried they get candy/sugary sweet followed by the heat, but it's not as hot as they are when wet.

I munch on them all year round.

Another member==>

Frank from Boston
https://tvwbb.com/member.php?7767-Frank-H

<== dries habaneros and grinds them to powder (as do you). I've got some of his powder and they are fantastic :D

edit--I've got a leftover jap that got misplaced (actually, forgotten from a weekend smoke). No dehydrator BUT I've found (online) that I can use my toaster oven to dehydrate. I'll try that next day or so.

Last edited:
what sauce did you make with the habs?

Cool looking plants too btw.

OT: I started making some stone ground mustard from a link you posted - I didn't go with the beer mustard like I did last time, I'll have to do that before long.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?65853-Easy-first-cooks&p=729065&viewfull=1#post729065

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/sauced-spicy-beer-mustard-recipe.html (((I did throw a hab in one batch I made of this)))

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/509/Basic_Coarse_Mustard61032.shtml

Have you guys ever dehydrated jalapeno's? I do them very year.

I slice them in half, lengthwise, de-seed/de-vein them and then slice each half (again, lengthwise) into 3-4 slices.

After they are dried they get candy/sugary sweet followed by the heat, but it's not as hot as they are when wet.

I munch on them all year round.

I've not dehydrated my own jalapenos but I get jars of them from Amazon (3 or so so far) and make jalapeno ranch. I usually take a small sample to taste each time I use them for something. I put a bunch in some mustard I started earlier today (soaked yellow & brown mustard seeds & some dehydrated jalapenos in apple cider vinegar), recipe that doesn't include jalapenos in third link above)

Last edited:
EORn1xZjdU2GVlE48CjfjJQrLRM3R0J3bKJDPFmQMZYqrfvGNWA_jrCpETtpUZSTt-jgRA6mCumOWzOa0xyyR_6wZnHTWtghru-2MKWjYKIr1rYDqCrbkI7MLZC9xKvpQAUwo-vTc1nFIpM-j2MEyP09RNoFpA_TBmewDLIaVCKepp6DMJMIbNBJbBW04pjxnZBSQSJZujKZ-urRUS5K5D7hWDl0efHxkTFtziwHT-hQlG9-DahHwvLmrgaJtZaypumYgGhTpmzMEK3E6spcSVqeuGkwUTmc1A3g1q1uZoH8SIzvbfEyFGvlOgaLi23Q7NGkUzXLoMxSIlq6mPJhUmeU21pZLpxHalj0dSPY0Z6KA1edAl_szG7mI18yeEOBDb6Um0mtVJnv60E0JuQuxbUnRrgrAQxcFbxyvH9LaL9oZRhN_6vT8waSWmkQ7gzURUaTrO9PKW6OvFhnCqKcwD1_xvn7j7xPtzCNPCC9-bSV0AuWFUOOp5kjgoSTlWtI1jqImzhEE4GKqxbpw0-doslcC9MIh04evs4G1cQbyr2bH2wG7hAnf5rtEZ1eBiEkjias8w1uXo8kZyfLVVh0qxRpowXVTnl95zWDihS0BF4=w1130-h848-no

Some harvest, pretty ok even if a cold summer, there is still a lot yet to go.
And remember, this is Sweden :)

Last edited:
what sauce did you make with the habs?

Cool looking plants too btw.

OT: I started making some stone ground mustard from a link you posted - I didn't go with the beer mustard like I did last time, I'll have to do that before long.
Thanks Clint. It's fun looking after them (just like children). Biggest problem is white flies. Little buggers can get a toe hold so fast, I'm on top of it almost every day.

For the hot sauce I did half this recipe. He claims it'll last a month in the fridge but longer I think considering the amount of vinegar in there
Garlic Hab Hot Sauce Mine looked just like his in his pic. He has a LOT of great recipes on his site.

Stone-ground is the ONLY way to go with our smoked meats ;)

Back