Increased capacity to 4 racks by welding extension on grill strap

A Stone

With thanks to JSMcDowell, I have wanted to make the grill straps longer on my 22" WSM ever since I saw his post. My only dilemma was whether to play it safe and go with 3 racks, or get greedy and go for 4. Then I thought, well, I might as well go for it. I decided to cut the grill straps in half, then add a custom bracket with two extra grill grate tabs so that I could have 4 grates 5 inches apart. The distance between the grates out of the box measure roughly 9", so I had a middle bracket fabricated measuring 6" total, with 1/2 inches above and below the grate tabs.
To offset the extra 6" that I added to the straps, I used an old harrow plow blade that my in-laws discarded as a heat shield. It is the perfect fit and very, very heavy metal, so it is a fantastic heat shield. I still have enough clearance through the door of the smoker to access the coals during a cook. Since Irma blew through earlier this week, I had plenty of oak limbs around the yard and, as the old saying goes, when nature gives you oak limbs, light em up and BBQ! I did a quick test and the smoker held temps steadily on all 4 grates, with maybe 10 degrees difference between top and bottom grates.
Next month, I am cooking for a large group and will put 16 boston butts on and see how it goes. I've done 8 before, using both racks. Might fail, but it is fun trying something new!
I'll try to post photos, but am new to this so I beg your patience. Please excuse my well-worn WSM in the pictures!

Edit: Photos posted in my reply 4 posts down from this one.

:wsm22::blackperformer:

Last edited:
Very interesting. I doubt your cook will fail. How long do you think 16 butts will take to cook? I did 6 on my 18.5" and one 9 pounder took 24 hours.

Thanks, Lew. I really don't know. I like to cook a little hotter- around 275 or so and have had them finish at different times. I think the longest I've gone is 20 hours, but it definitely dipped below 250 for that cook. I am going to give myself a window, guessing that they'll finish in 14-16 hours. I can wrap and hold them for 2-4 hours if I finish early.
Hopefully I can figure out the picture issue when I do the cook next month.

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks for your patience. I think I figured out the pictures.
brxb4tD.jpg

euBeyfF.jpg

q9R4AvE.jpg

KeBJd6P.jpg

P5hlBPC.jpg

Back