Chicken & Rice

MikeCantell

TVWBB Pro
My wife's mother use to make this and I have made it a few times,my latest has been my best.
1 whole chicken sized to need I use about 5lbs
1 head of celery
1 large sweet onion
2 cups of Zatarains long grain rice or adjust the amount to how much is needed
salt & fresh ground pepper
Put water into a deep pot that will cover the chicken salt and pepper,boil chicken till almost tender and remove from pot.while it was cooking clean celery and split stalks and chop into 3/8" to 1/" lengths ,dice onion into 5/16" ,after removing chicken skim the fat off the top of the broth to cut fat if you care about it.Add celery & onion to pot and bring to a lite boil while you debone chicken. When you have meat ready add it and the rice to the pot and simmer till rice is done,served with some good crusty bread and butter this is really good and when the rice/broth is done just right there wont be any standing water in the pot just creamy rice mixture,like any thing else other stuff can be added depending on likes .This will be made next with a whole chicken that I will smoke for about 2 hrs prior and will report back on the smoke profile

when you say "Zatarains long grain rice" you basically mean any long grain white rice, right?

The Zatarains is a darker rice more of a brown with a nutty flavor to me but any rice can work if you have a favorite

Back