Best Light for Performer

James Bea

TVWBB Member
Tried searching, but light and lamp were too generic to turn anything up.

As the days get shorter I need a good lamp for my performer so I am not juggling the flashlight.

Anyone have a recommendation? I have seen the Weber one with the clamp, just wondering if there is a better option out there.

I've tried a bunch and nothing "really does it"!
My current favorite is a cheap LED thing that clips on the bill of a baseball cap. It's not love but, it's not bad.
I have also used some "Mallow Me" LED lanterns from Amazon, huge amounts of light, cheap, so far, durable!

I like it Pat! Not miserably expensive either!
My wife got me a Clamp action one but, she hasn't had to cook since we started seeing each other so, she doesn't really see what the issues are when grilling, the baseball cap has been pretty decent but, not great. That one looks pretty much ideal!

Having multiple grills I made a portable light fixture I could use on all of them. It works off of my 12 volt Malibu light system. I have jacks about every eight feet along the back of the patio that I can plug it into.
I made it using a wrought iron fence post and attached two 12 volt adjustable lights to it along with a switch. One light is pointed at the table the other at the grill. On top is a solar light.
It has a small cement base I formed to sit in the bottom of a plastic flower pot which I filed with rock to keep it steady.
99% of the time in the winter if I do charcoal it's on the performer, so that's where it normally stays.
Works really well.

37073445256_1d902df2bb_z.jpg

37073444466_611fcfa7d4_z.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Rich, you don't mess around.

I think we may have a winner with Pat's recommendation.

In my mind I was hoping for a long, elevated led light bar that would run across the back of the grill/table with a clamp.

Appreciate all the feedback.

OK Rich, you win, for now. Here is my next project. I picked up this beacon light and I'm going to mount it to my Jumbo Joe. Let's see you top that buddy.:p

OK Rich, you win, for now. Here is my next project. I picked up this beacon light and I'm going to mount it to my Jumbo Joe. Let's see you top that buddy.:p

Ah....Well I think I'll concede to your mega wattage grill light, although it might be just a little overkill for a JJ. Can't wait to see the pictures and your electric bill.:cool:

Most of my grills have wheels, so if I am going to cook in the dark, I just roll it over to just under the light in the eaves above the garage door.
It's simple, cheap, and works great for me. Just make sure that you are not too close to anything flammable.

I'm with Robert on this one -

I have a dual-head Halogen work-light on a tripod. It was not too expensive from Lowe's (mine was actually a B-Day gift, but I know where my BIL got it...)
Now, they have re-chargeable LED ones that would be relatively easy to suspend with some sort of bracket or set-up a semi-portable pole like Rich
With dual heads, the light is not always throwing shadows where you least want 'em like almost all single-beam solutions create.

Happy night-owl cooking

Hey whatever works for, you but I use Halogen lights at work. They can be blinding if you look the wrong way.
I prefer a more ambient light when I'm relaxing and cooking. Like Bob H. I have other options.:)

Tim

The little round beam is from a light similar to Pat's clamp on, it lasted for a few years.
The bright one was, as in past tense, a clamp on LED desk lamp, it lasted only about a year even though it was kept out of the weather.

FQyQjZpkjkLhzON2DdVlmB7hQadiP8sWd5lWroFRCLu-h1Pc3woldRAilYQiSX-BZWdGYGV6OF6HM4E2lYiMSxrDrfy6ta1uTQkPp7_vokqiRRXn0Jk999SVFfVZhbE_I3gRg6thi7nyhEUJ1Afc7pnaSuye5uy5JE291CQc0nMl2h65IgG_Zcx5-70-6fqXfItK429Nw5gGnqJZkHN_NgjhcjZ7ieg9rnv8Yj3qLkBBEPdtQyKsny5PW8VW__W6QserL8OxlmGxsQEyulyYDmCE0PYQ8Nykp3J7mBvFd2uUEGRtvRd9KJFrAHOKM1akweZC00NQG8XcYuugoSWMRIzl5pyEa3Lu35HfJODNNXtQTy3n2M3ZccBnT7QHYd5kbowe-e3nVZT9KE54XjqanPOxCAyYS2rbFtwLdyOpkSiFtra7bKWhN-7ADf7ZTicWvAuMmw71h-1EkZ9IWvIF9cljA_vyFgatDCX2PMsR3WsNpQLTMyxlqWWds3C7_GWGyoEMremvrCVcRYlAIejBpwy9gNQHZJaCjGuWAPhNH1RIn6VOOdO6FgE7JTV7S-ekqsGfGZdXq7RRisN1r6R8WGa4-LSTmqaxHz_Bz_OLVoM=w1344-h896-no

Back