Ooops!

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
We were in Safeway yesterday and my wife spotted...... Hatch Chiles. Couldn't believe it, 99¢ a pound. First time I've ever seen them up here. Then I remembered what I paid on line for 5 lbs. shipped from the Chile Store a few short weeks ago. As the saying goes...oh well.

Got a Sprouts near you? I paid 77 cents last weekend. I have to believe they will be less than that this weekend... Bottom line...I'm getting some more and going to make a red based salsa, since you brought it up. I ended up adding some vine ripened cowhorn peppers (raw) to my salsa, and that took it over. It was missing something and the cowhorns worked in a pinch

I paid $35 for a 5 lb. box. Of course they advertised "Free Shipping". They are delicious though, especially liked the Sandia's that I chose, their hot variety. Might be a little more patient next year and see if they pop up locally again.

That time of the year again !!!
A 25# box of fresh Hatch Chile (Joe Parker) from the Chile Store was shipped Tuesday. Should be on my doorstep sometime Thursday.

Never made a salsa. These must be the perfect chili for that? Never even had one. Will start looking.

That time of the year again !!!
A 25# box of fresh Hatch Chile (Joe Parker) from the Chile Store was shipped Tuesday. Should be on my doorstep sometime Thursday.
Must have been an early hatch of Hatches this year, usually they don't show up until September.

edit, guess not, they can be ready as early as July.
can't find them here until September.

Last edited:
Haven't seen any action up here yet. I got this excerpt from an email from The Chili Store on August 7th.

"The Big Jim is Coming!

We're now shipping both Hot and Mild each week and expect to start shipping Big Jim (our Medium-Hot) next week! Joe Parker (our Medium) and Lumbre (X-Hot) will follow in the next one to two weeks. It's been a slow start to chile season this year but remember, good things come to those who wait!"

I did pick up a package of these for later in the week.

threeOhSeven.png

Was putting them away when I noticed mine are Seasoned Sausage, not Bratwurst as shown in the photo above. Close enough!

Cliff,I had the hatch green chili brats made by Johnsonville and they are nasty...I never tried the Sausage ones though. I hope there better than the brats.

They've been at my local Sprouts and several other grocery stores for a while. Prices vary. Sprouts: $.99/lb.
Made some great rellenos a few days ago. Thinking about doing a Mexican pizza.

Cub up here in the hinterlands has Hatch chilis in mild to hot varieties for $2.99/lb. Not all that unreasonable.....

My favorite time of the year. Restaurants put hatch chilis in everything and it's all good. One of our local fave joints just posted that they're making hatch chocolate mousse dessert. Mmmm. Tomorrow night. Spicy chocolate is not unheard of here in Tex-Mex land.

Jeff

Back