Raspberry Pi Zero W

JHalasz

TVWBB Fan
any tips on getting one of these to work with the HM?

Does the software support it?

It doesnt do anything, just kinda sit there... where to start to troubleshoot?

BTW, using other rpi's work great on the same HM build, just thought I would try the Zero W, but it seems to be a lost cause, I have plenty of othr pi's to use...

My pi zero-w works great too, follow Steve's advice and make sure you select the right target board and you should be good to go...

I'll give it another shot today, I believe I did all that, same as all other pi models... but the zero is just stubborn

ya, it's not working still, I tried AP mode, I tried client... nothing. I hooked it up to a monitor and saw that it is stuck in a reboot loop. There is a thread on the rpi forum about power being too low, tried different cables (usb), tried the 12v ps... same thing, it also mentioned that the noobs is the culprit, and that is how they fixed that... they updated the core.

What version are ya'll running that have no issues, and is it possible to share that version, is it the same version on the /dl site??

Maybe check the soldering on the header you added to the zero-w?... and if you soldered in the full header make sure the extra pins aren't hitting any other parts on the HM board?
You didn't mention explicitly that you set the target board, you said "same as other boards" which makes me want to reiterate that you need to select the target board when you DL. Steve has another solid point, try another SD card, could be that as well.
I have setup my zero-w twice I think, the first time I set the WIFI info in the DL and it worked great. If I recall properly the last time I re-formated the preconfig'd wifi info didnt work for some reason. After beating my head against the wall I tried AP mode and the HM hotspot appeared, I was able to connect with my phone and scan for wireless networks and was able to connect to my wifi from there.

The Pi Zero W doesn't take all that much power (compared to a Pi 3) so a HeaterMeter giving it 5V should never have a problem or see the "low power" icon in the top right of the screen (when connected to a monitor). Powering it through a USB cable I can't make any guarantees due to power supply variations.

I just grabbed the snapshot from /dl and flashed it to a Zero W and it booted up and worked just fine. If you select the wrong image type (for Pi 2 and 3) it just gives you the rainbow screen and doesn't boot, so it sounds like you've got the right image. Is this a microSD card you used from a previous install? If so maybe do a Full (overwrite) on the card first to make sure it doesn't have any garbage on it that's confusing the boot process.

brand new sd card(s) 2 so far, different brands as well, I'll try the full wipe and go with wall power and see if that changes anything.. the hm works like a champ with the rpi b, only changes i make to the micro once flashed is i add norestore to the command so that it will wipe the hm, but... im not getting that far, im stuck in boot loop. Will full wipe the micro and reload, see what happens.

You might also try to add "panic=0" to the cmdline.txt just in case a kernel panic is causing the reboot, it will stop instead of automatically rebooting over and over. I learned this one last month when I spent like 5 minutes trying to take a photo of my screen when I had a bug causing the root squashfs to fail to mount and reboot. Let me tell you about how hard it is to get a digital photo when the screen is on for less than a second!

well, i tried 2 different pi zero's, 2 different sd cards, so basically 4 possible combinations, all the same result... nadda. I can however load raspberian and it works like a champ... ideas?

You might also try to add "panic=0" to the cmdline.txt just in case a kernel panic is causing the reboot, it will stop instead of automatically rebooting over and over. I learned this one last month when I spent like 5 minutes trying to take a photo of my screen when I had a bug causing the root squashfs to fail to mount and reboot. Let me tell you about how hard it is to get a digital photo when the screen is on for less than a second!

I was going to attempt that, but ya, there is no way, too fast!! :)

This is gonna sound silly, but are you sure you have Zero W's and not just a Zero without wireless?

The zero and zero-w run on the same HM build, so though internet connection wouldn't work, neither of them should get locked in a reboot loop like the OP is reporting.

booting it on it's own works fine, well, with raspberian, now with the hm image... the image is 29.7mb that i downloaded and burned to the sdcard

Back