Need a salt-free sweet rub for my butt

Willie (Green Bay)

TVWBB Member
My wife has Menieres disease and has to limit her salt intake as much as possible.
Until this, i was never much of a label reader and boy was i shocked when i looked at the labels for my typical rubs...YIKES

So, i need to make a homemade rub since the local BBQ store doesn't have much to offer that's salt free..i think 1 or 2.

Can anyone point me to a simple sweet rub that's good on butt's and ribs?

Unfortunately, salt is the basic element in most rubs. I've used this when I had to produce a low sodium rub. It calls for sea-salt, if you can put some in it will add flavor and increase tenderness, but if you can't it's still a good basic rub

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sweet paprika
1/2 to 1 cup coarsely ground or cracked black peppercorns
3 tablespoons granulated garlic powder
3 tablespoons granulated onion powder
1 tablespoon celery seed

Just omit the salt from any recipes you find. If they say "onion salt" or "garlic salt", just use onion powder or garlic powder in HALF the quantities required. Can always adjust up or down later.

I know MSG gets a bad rap but used in moderation, it really adds the "umami" flavour that is highly desireable. Consider that as a substitute for salt (but again, use less as a starting point).

From Amazing ribs.
I have used it a lot on pork and bacon.

Meathead's Memphis Dust Recipe
Makes. About 3 cups. Store the extra in a zipper bag or a glass jar with a tight lid. Use enough to cover the meat surface but still let some meat show through.
Takes. 15 minutes. 10 minutes to find everything and 5 minutes to dump them together.
Ingredients
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup American paprika
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons rosemary powder

Back