Smoked White Fish

Chris Lynch

TVWBB All-Star
Howdy folks. Been on hiatus with a new addition to the family. My neighbor just brought over 40 lbs of white fish bone in. I plan on cutting into 1 1/2 steaks and I will brine for about 12 hours. I'll then air dry for about 4 and then smoke for 4-6 hours at 200. I am looking for a good fish dip recipe...or with the 40 lbs of fish...what would you do?? Last time I did this, it was amazing but can't find the original recipe I used!

Sounds interesting/
Make sure to keep us posted.

Will 12 hour in brine not be a bit long for fish?
What percentage are you using?

I haven't been smoking fish, but always wanted to.
What I have done is fish fillets in banana leaf and fish mousse in banana leaf on the grill.

A lot of people here dry the fish on a low fire on the BBQ so they can keep it and eat later (sort of like stockfish or bacalao)

Shake memory on it but I did one a while back with
Sour cream
Mayonnaise
Lemon zest
A small amount of Worcestershire
A splash of Tabasco
Capers
Ground black pepper
Pinch of salt (might not need it)
I may have added or omitted something but, it's a starting place.
I was very pleased with the outcome but, it was a couple of years ago.
Happy to have added to your confusion!

I know that this isn't what you asked for - but "whitefish" triggers this for me:
(It's a tradition in Door County Wisconsin - the thumb on the mitten if you look at a map...)

If it's Great Lakes Whitefish (the oily, bony stuff) - look-up the recipe for a classic "fish boil" to make with SOME of it
The fish is put into a pot (usually with an inner basket) of Salted Water - with BIG chunks of Onion, Potatoes, and Carrots.
Then cooked over an open wood or gas fire
When it's almost done, the heat is "cranked-up" (usually, by adding about a pint of Gasoline) so that the fat/oil boils-over into the flames
Leaves nice, flaky, mild fish

We've done it with Lake Trout, which is even better
Look it up - you might like it!

Back