Brisket finishing temps

Mac LA

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello everyone,

At what temps are you all pulling your briskets at?

Only reason I'm asking is I went the place where I procure my wood from and they were handing out appetizers of meatballs (forgot what they called them) wrapped in bacon and jalapeno poppers also wrapped in bacon. While standing there waiting for my apps, I noticed the most beautiful brisket I have ever seen. When I asked at what temp they finish and the guy told me 211*. The brisket what the most delicious brisket I've tasted thus far but the temp sounded higher than anything I've done so far. Was said guy being forthcoming?

Thoughts?

Thanks all,

Johnny

I've only done a couple of briskets and corned beef flats. Like my butts, I usually take them off at 207F and rest (in towels) for a minimum of 2 hours.

Let's see what others have to say.

It's done when it's done. The best method is to probe it for tenderness. You can't go by temp. I've had briskets done at 193. I've had them go to 210. If I cooked that one that came off at 193 to 210 I'd have saw dust. I generally start probing at 195 and if its not done, I wait another 15 to 30 minutes. I usually use the probe on my thermopen and don't look at the temp. If it goes in like into warm butter, it's done.

What Dustin said. Same with pork shoulder. Use the thermometer to see if you're getting in the likely region for "done", then turn it off and just use the probe to test for that warm butter feel. Be careful if you're doing a whole brisket as the point and the flat may cook at significantly different rates. With the last one I did the point was ready long before the flat. If I'd gone strictly by temp I'd have had a very tough flat.

Thank you for the replies.

Those guidelines I understand but I ask because my briskets probe well but seem to tighten up some after I remove and rest. Also, my internal color was slightly pale in comparison to his and others I've seen which are much darker.

Johnny...

The Woodshed ? If so, it was probably Ed.

If so, I would believe him, even if the number is much higher than I would expect to see. (Personally, my cooks are all to tenderness, never just temperature) The greatest variables here are... Where did the brisket come from, ie Restaurant Depot, Snake River Farms, Brandt Beef, or ? And what grade ? And how, exactly, did he cook it.

But on the other hand... ;)

Bob

Last edited:
Johnny...

The Woodshed ? If so, it was probably Ed.

If so, I would believe him, even if the number is much higher than I would expect to see. (Personally, my cooks are all to tenderness, never just temperature) The greatest variables here are... Where did the brisket come from, ie Restaurant Depot, Snake River Farms, Brandt Beef, or ? And what grade ? And how, exactly, did he cook it.

But on the other hand... ;)

Bob

Hey Bob, been a while!

Yes sir it was.

When you are probing, are you probing the flat or in-between the flat/point?

I guess what bothers me is the color inside, it's never been really dark as I saw with his beautiful brisket. I was not able to take the class as I was out of town but I sure hope to get in on the next one.

I go by probing, but I always check the temperature for my notes. I haven't done a lot of briskets, but like Dustin said they can be all over the place with temperatures when they become probe tender.

Back