Blessings from Sacramento, California

D. Dix

TVWBB Member
I guess I never sent out an intro to the group? Should have done this a while back. I apologize for the faux-paw. Well, I am born & raised in sunny Northern California and am a Sacramento Valley transplant since 2005. I owned Weber's of one sort or another in my BBQ'ng lifetime. I have owned Smokey Joes, Grill n' go, Genesis, Q's, and a Summit S450, which I have owned for almost 9 years. I just went through a complete overhaul of this unit. It's basically brand new and works better than ever. I made 1 modification to it that I am particularly proud of. And most recently of course is my 18.5" WSM!

One of the only issues with the Summit I ever had was starting the infrared rotisserie, and keeping from degrading the ceramics. I most often grill "indirect" or raised if you will off the upper rack. I also used the rotisserie quite a bit, so it became a challenge to light if it had been sitting for any length of time without using. Fast forward to a couple of months back, I replaced the old IR burner assembly & during my rebuild I took the old one to a local steel fabricator and had a piece of Stainless Steel sheet metal bent to fit over the burner and slide underneath the igniter. It fit like a dream as the frame around the burner assembly was SS as well and was pop riveted. so the piece of metal fits snuggly over the burner itself. It keeps it clean, and free of damage by banging it with tools while cooking or cleaning. Best $28.00 I spent! If I had to do all over again, I would have an additional piece welded on the end to cover the igniter and to protect is as well. (I may still do that)

As stated, I have been a Weber user most of my adult life, with a couple of brief stints in between owning my Genesis & Summit. I had a fine LP grill from Canada, and for a time when I made the move to Sac, I had a 48" LYNX NG built in, that was fabulous but parts and service could never touch Weber!! That sucker unfortunately went with the house when I sold it. Well, thanks for everyone who contributes to this site and Chris A, brother you are the best. The WSM easy mods posted are cheap upgrades and "Must dos" IMHO.
Be well & Grill on!!
Dave

:wsm22: :smokeyjoe: :redgenesis1:

Welcome aboard Dave. Look forward to seeing your cooks. Have to ask you, do you have any relatives that used to live in the Santa Rosa area?

Sorry for not getting back with you sooner. All of my relatives have long since moved to different areas of this country. Most still on or close to the left coast, 1 on the east. I still have lots of friends though. Grew up in SR & Healdsburg when Santa Rosa was a very small town. Healdsburg & Windsor were but blips on the map!

That's what I thought. I believe I worked with your Dad (?) or other relative in Santa Rosa. Any pilots in the family?

Back