Rob Refurbs

RDavisUtah

Hi all! Start refurbish on a couple of NG Genesis':
e58NDU.jpg

I'm looking for some advise. The thread inserts in the cart shaft have rusted out. I've been around town looking for some kind of replacement but didn't find anything. What ya'll do about this?
Lxu8Bh.jpg

Two different styles of tubes: I wonder if there is any practical advantage to one or the other. I certainly think the metal looks better.

1Sj5bD.jpg

Thanks

Use the McMaster-Carr 1" inserts:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?69...ill-be-amazing&p=782472&viewfull=1#post782472

As for the burners... both styles perform the same function (keeping spiders out), but the ones with the plastic guards are the older design. I would use whichever burners are in better shape.

Nice grills, btw. The red one on the right appears to be a Spirit 900 (no casters, wood tables, shallow firebox, and 2 small wire shelves).

Last edited:
Thanks JKim! My wife (The Amazon Queen) actually found and ordered these:
ApTvYi.png

Since I have 2 carts, I had the parts to finish one. Ill do the other when I get parts. Took more paint than I expected (1.5can) to just do the cart.
pmiiu0fmj

We bought a lot of stuff from McMaster-Carr when I was in R&D. Weber would try to primary source them (as McMaster is just a reseller) but sometimes they got stuck with McMaster.

Nice work on those grills! looking spiffy!

Nice grills, btw. The red one on the right appears to be a Spirit 900 (no casters, wood tables, shallow firebox, and 2 small wire shelves).
You are correct its a 900. SO the back story here is I wanted to refurbish my 20 year old lava-rock-bed Classic 345 Fiesta. Looking for ideas, I stumbled across this website, which inspired me to look for an old Weber. I found that 900 in the local ads for free. The red painted top is stained (or etched) and I can't clean it up. It had the old quick connect on it so I replaced it but the regulator seems be bad, however, I've not cleaned the burners yet so I'm hoping maybe that's all it is. I did get some cast iron grates from the 900 that cleaned up and cured pretty well.

In the following days I acquired the NG's that are in working order and better condition. I'd still like to revisit the 900 but not sure how to proceed with that bad top paint.

By the way, the old Fiesta is going in the trash.. I can't believe I lived with that for so many years. I do however have a 18.5 WSM and a kettle, both of which I've used for several years.

Last edited:
Rob, that's actually not a bad price for a pack of 10 even with the shipping cost. You could buy two packs of 10 and the shipping charge more or less stays the same. I will consider them in the future. I'm rehabbing a 900 right now as well.

Just about every part is in better condition, on the burgundy platinum, except the lower frame where the cross bars hold the lower wood rack. The metal wood supports are rusted out.
poDJZiRcj

Why? I suspect maybe it gets more exposure to weather because Grill covers don't always extend to the ground? Then you have two metal pieces sitting on top of each other which might collect and hold moisture. Anyone notice if this is a common issue? I wonder if small flat rubber/vinyl pieces on corners to support those wood grates and preventing water from getting trapped would help eliminate this. Anyone notice if this is a common issue?

The red top is in excellent condition, even the edges, EXCEPT what might be a single BB battle scar.
popUqdNvj

For anti seize, I used this stuff, since I had it on hand. Its for muzzle loader breech plug but It should work for the firebox bolts
pnYmXoA8j

Back