Bringing the WSM up to temp with ATC

Don Fry

TVWBB Super Fan
I will admit that I have not given as much attention to my WSM as I used to since purchasing a Kamado Joe. I miss the better smoke flavor that I got from the WSM. However, I really want to use my PartyQ ATC with it. After climbing the learning curve with the KJ, I love the way the PartyQ works with the KJ and I am trying to not have to learn all over again with the WSM. I have a couple of basic questions. First, what is the best way to bring the WSM up to cooking temp using at ATC. I will be doing primarily LNS 225-250 range. On the KJ I have to bring it up to temp or nearly to temp before installing the PartyQ or it will over-stoke the fire. Does that apply to the WSM as well? Is the Minon Method no longer applicable? Second, I am used to the old fashion way to controlling the temps of my WSM with the top vent wide open and using the bottom vents to control the temp. With an ATC, do I still leave the top vent open 100% or do I restrict it there as well? On the KJ, I leave the daisy wheel open less than 25%. Appreciate the help.

I run a DigiQII and let the unit bring my WSM up to temp, never had an issue with over-stoking. I still use the minion method. I leave my top vent wide open, and leave all by one closed off, the one that is open is plugged except one hole where the fan is attached.

I also use the DigiQ, but remember someone saying they place a 1/8th" drill bit into the dome vent and close down on it to that size. I smoked last week and repeated the process, but this time I noticed not all the openings were the same size. So I selected the smallest opening and used the drill bit on it.

I also use the Minion Method. I usually fill up the smaller section of my chimney with the leftover briquettes from the last smoke session. I use a heavy gauge screen to keep the smaller pieces from falling through.

UPDATE: I'm pretty sure that forgot to answer the question...

The DigiQ likes to work in a near vacuum state. I leave the ajar until the dome temp nears 200.

When I close the door the vacuum effect takes place and the DigiQ takes over fueling the fire with the oxygen needed to hit cooking temps.

UPDATE: I'm pretty sure that forgot to answer the question...

The DigiQ likes to work in a near vacuum state. I leave the ajar until the dome temp nears 200.

When I close the door the vacuum effect takes place and the DigiQ takes over fueling the fire with the oxygen needed to hit cooking temps.

Bill,
Your second sentence looks,like it’s missing a word: what do you leave “ajar?”

Back