First Rotisserie Cook On a miniWSM

A Lee

TVWBB Super Fan
I recently made a rotisserie ring for my Smokey Joe Gold/miniWSM and did my first high temp chicken roast on charcoal.

Method:
-3/4 chimney of Kingsford briquettes fully lit
-No diffuser
-No drip pan. Drippings were allowed to drip directly onto the charcoal. none of it caught fire because high temp charcoal consumed enough oxygen to keep the oil from flaring up as long as the lid stayed on.
-All vents fully open
-Used 2 small pieces of cherry wood on the fire for subtle wood smoke flavor. Probably lasted no more than 30 mins on the hot coals.
-No brining
-Seasoning was done with Cornell Sauce marinade applied to the chicken less than 30 mins before cooking. Basting was done maybe 3 times.
-I used a fork to poke holes in the skin to allow fat to render and drip away.
-Total cook time was 1.5 hours with oven temps between 330-350F. I accidentally let the chicken overcook to 180-190F.

It was hands down the best rotisserie chicken I've ever had. Nandos, Swiss Chalet, etc roast chicken didn't even come close to being this good. The legs were practically fall off of the bone. Breasts were extremely tender and super moist. Skin was soft and thin with most of the fat rendered away but still tasted amazing. I don't think it crisped up due to basting.

I was honestly surprised it turned out this tender because I overcooked the chicken to 180-190F. Anyone know why it was so good? Was it the rotisserie or the basting that prevented the moisture from escaping?

Here's a photo of the cooker and one of the chicken. Was in a rush during the cook so I forgot to take one of the chicken spinning on the spit.

Last edited:
Very nice Custom Ring. I have been debating on making one with some aluminum flashing. Did you make yours out of Air ducting tube and rivet along it to strengthen it? Please elaborate on the ring design :)

Was going to make this for my miniWSM for one pizza cooker and one rotisserie.

Very nice Custom Ring. I have been debating on making one with some aluminum flashing. Did you make yours out of Air ducting tube and rivet along it to strengthen it? Please elaborate on the ring design :)

Was going to make this for my miniWSM for one pizza cooker and one rotisserie.

The ring was made from surplus 304 stainless salvaged from a boiler plant demolition. It was previously an "eddy draft regulator" but really just made of a bunch of stainless sheet metal spot welded together. Anyone can easily make this themselves. It's just a piece of sheet metal rolled into the diameter of the smokey joe. I think it's only 22ga or 20ga stainless but it's very strong even without rolled edges.

You can call your local metal distributor to get a price for the stainless sheet metal. Mine was already cut and formed, and coincidentally the same height as the aluminum tamale pots everyone else is using. Price should be the same or cheaper than using a tamale pot but the 304 stainless won't rust. 420 stainless should be quite a bit cheaper and will work fine too. Mine was spot welded when I salvaged the metal. You can easily just rivet it or use sheet metal screws.

IMO, I wouldn't use aluminum flashing because that stuff isn't that cheap and is very thin. Wrapping it multiple times makes it stronger but creates spaces where dirt and grease can collect.

Last edited:
Is this whole metal thing your rotisserie ring?

HHMMXPS.png

EDIT: I just read about this Mini WSM project. I didn't know what it was before.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/miniwsm.html

So that's the steamer pot that was used to make the Mini WSM?

Last edited:

Back