Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meatloaf for Days!

Meatloaf for Days!

I can't remember the last time I've had or made meatloaf, but it always looks good and I've had it on my mind.

First I took 2 habaneros & put them in the food processor & spun them to bits. Then a red onion, I figured those 2 would be fine pulverized, but I wanted some jalapeno chunks to be visible - I put them (4 large) in last.

I didn't want to make too little, so I got 6# of ground chuck............it was a lot more than I expected. Completely filled my 5 quart bowl to the top, I put it in my stand mixer for 1 minute, then onto the counter that was covered with foil. I worked half (tried to get it mixed thoroughly but lightly), then the other half, then mixed the 2 together, & then formed the loaves.

I wanted it to cook hot & fast so I filled the ring Grease built up so I poked the foil in a few places around the loaf.

I didn't use a pan, although it was ready & foiled sitting next to the smoker.

I checked them at about ~1:20, one was 155, the other ~158, so I sauced one (<15 min), & pulled one pretty soon after I sauced the first.....and did some quality control testing on it.

No sauce on this one:

Bulls eye original on this:

I wrapped this up, put it in the freezer for ~45? minutes, pulled it out & put 4 slices per bag, separated in to two (like 2 sandwiches in a bag) servings per bag & into the freezer.

What I wish I'd have done differently:

I like the flavors & seasoning, but I didn't like how the larger chunks of crackers looked in the meat. I wish I'd have ran them through the processor first & sat them aside. I read a little about a panade and well, I have a little to learn I used a little maybe 1/3 cup of half/half creamer in it.

I liked the sauced one a little more (I think - but I've eaten ~1.5# or more of this so who knows).

I thought about sauteeing onion & garlic before putting it in, maybe I'll try something like that next time.

Looks dam tasty to me Clint.
    Bacon....the duct tape of the Gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    What I wish I'd have done differently:

I like the flavors & seasoning, but I didn't like how the larger chunks of crackers looked in the meat. I wish I'd have ran them through the processor first & sat them aside. I read a little about a panade and well, I have a little to learn I used a little maybe 1/3 cup of half/half creamer in it.

I liked the sauced one a little more (I think - but I've eaten ~1.5# or more of this so who knows).

I thought about sauteeing onion & garlic before putting it in, maybe I'll try something like that next time.
    Did you use Ritz Crackers? Gotta use Ritz

You can never go wrong with sautéing onion & garlic. They can be a bit much if not. I have to tell you Clint, that's some real nice looking meatloaf. I'd be all over that. Nicely done my friend, nicely done!
    85 78

Thought about using ground up WASA crackers for our next loaf. Never tried Ritz yet.

Great looking loafs, Clint!
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", & Royal Oak Lump / Briquettes

I usually make about twelve batches or Chex party mix at Christmas and by the time I gift out a bunch, eat as much as I can take, I have maybe a half a batch left. Into the Cuisinart it goes, turn it to almost dust (the nuts never get totally pulverized) and a bag goes in the freezer. It's a nice quick handful af crumbs for meatloaf, or things if that ilk.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

That sure looks good Clint. Nicely done!
    Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genesis Gold B(Redhead) WSM 14.5 Original Kettle Premium 26 18 OTG Kettle Jumbo Joe Vortex, Kettle Pizza

Some fine looking meatloaves. Like you, I always make 2 at a time & freeze one for later.
    18.5 & 14.5 WSMs, 26.5 XL, 22.5 Performer, JJ, SJ, Roti Rings, Stackers, Genesis 330, OKJ Highland & Al Pastor Cooker

Really nicely done, Clint. Looks good and juicy - I'm sure it was delicious.
    ; ; ;

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Those look great Clint, look like their cooked perfectly.
    You and Barb (The meatloaf queen) have a lot in common when it comes to meat loaf. Anything goes when it comes to ingredients, never the same twice. Whole hard boiled eggs, poppers, whole sausage and anything else within reach and at least three different kinds of meat.
    Always a fun and tasty adventure.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Clint, those two meat loaves look fantastic. I like the idea of slicing one up and putting it in packages for later.
    2009 Performer Platinum , 1999 Genesis 1000 LX, Mini Smoker, 2009 E320ng, 18.5 , 1993 Smokey Joe, 2011 Performer Deluxe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast