Temp Issues

PaulBz

TVWBB Fan
So I have a BBQ IQ 110 and I really like it. I cook ribs at 225. I cooked baby backs. They usually take 4 hours at 225. I put the probe on the top rack with a Weber smoker mountain 14.5 inch in the middle. I have a Weber rib rack. I put both racks on the top level trying to have the meat too close to the probe. I use the same ribs from the same meat market that I love. But the last two cooks have taken longer. It took almost 5 hours for the cook rather than my usually 4. Now they were my best batch ever and so freaking good. But I had a pork butt at 225 that took over 15 hours to cook and stalled at 186 and never went above that. See my previous post on that. The temp gauge on the lid seems to go where it used to be for four hours but then falls a little low. I know that's not accurate. But the iq says I am at 225 the entire cook. I mean I just made my best batch of ribs ever. So I am not complaining. Letting the rub with not too much salt sitting overnight is the key by the way. So I guess on my next brisket or pork butt cook I just need to put the temp a little higher. Because I think I found the right one with ribs. But why it took almost another hour with no variables changing is weird to me.

When everything YOU can control is constant, the only thing left is the (different) quality of the meat (the one thing you CAN'T control). Regardless of the fact it's the same store, etc it's the quality of the meat. Pork is not graded like beef so everything depends on the source of the meat (what the farmers feed their livestock, etc).

Don't worry, be happy :)

I agree with Len, every piece of meat is not the same. I often find that when i smoke 3 or 4 racks of ribs at the same time they do not finish at the same time. I always stress to my friends when they are getting into grilling and smoking that they must cook the product till it is done regardless of what the recipe says.
Just enjoy the great ribs regardless of how long they take to finish to your satisfaction.

Well it goes to show... There are lots of variables. Even the sun can add/maintain heat, wind, etc. all add variances. Nothing that cannot be overcome obviously. As I had mentioned a moment ago, I used to make a lot of notes. Instead of expecting and trying to maintain constants, I ended up with ranges -for times, temps, and every other factor you can think of.

The only "problem" is when your mealtime is decided upon with family and guests. You have to plan to be done an hour ahead and if all goes well, slow down to hit the target time. Or speed up! GO! GO! :) And always have a package of hot dogs and a frozen pizza on hand.

The only "problem" is when your mealtime is decided upon with family and guests. You have to plan to be done an hour ahead and if all goes well, slow down to hit the target time. Or speed up! GO! GO! :) And always have a package of hot dogs and a frozen pizza on hand.

Nah, just keep the drinks coming and no one will care ;)

Martinis and beer in the summer, Manhattans and beer in the winter!
A hot buttered rum when it's really raw doesn't hurt but, that's after dinner!

I was going to mention wind and weather, but was beat to it.

IMO, the ONLY certainty Ive learned about smoking is to cook to TEMP. We can manually control the vents and get the temp in a bracket, but that's about it. If wind or rain comes along...it's time to change the game plan. :)

Back