Odd combinations

JayHeyl

TVWBB Pro
Cruising the aisles at Costco today I came upon a prepared dish I'd not seen before -- pulled pork macaroni and cheese. I didn't get any because I know I can make both those ingredients way better than anything I'm going to find prepared in a store, but I did find the basic idea interesting. I always have loads of pulled pork left over and am always looking for creative ideas on how to use it. This seemed promising. Has anyone tried making this before?

I also just watched an episode of BBQ with Franklin where he challenged other area chefs to make use of leftover brisket. One did brisket and fig pies. They looked to me like empanadas. There was a sauce made with dried figs reconstituted in a pickling liquid, smoked tomatoes, and a couple other minor ingredients. Another did a very careful reheating of the brisket in a mix of browned butter, ground beef fat, and some other flavoring ingredients the specifics of which I forget. The reheated brisket was topped with some peppers and fresh cherry tomatoes and salad-like fixin's. Then came what I found the most interesting from a Japanese chef. He dehydrated several slices of the brisket and ground it into a powder. He added that, along with ground bonito flakes to a miso paste, adding it to a pork-based broth to make a noodle soup with slices of brisket floating in it. Franklin said the soup tasted like liquid brisket. The miso takes days to prepare so the long-cooking brisket fit right in.

How creative have you been when trying to make use of left over BBQ meats?

My best was a simple combination of pulled pork with a salsa I made with homegrown tomatoes and chiles and some apple cider vinegar, wrapped in a tortilla. It was a meal of expediency since I'd run out of buns for the pulled pork and just happened to have the salsa and tortillas on hand. I wasn't expecting much but it was one of the best things I've ever eaten.

Other family favorites include pulled pork nachos, which are always thrown together with whatever nacho-friendly ingredients I happen to have available.

I've done pulled pork enchiladas also pulled pork omelets and pulled pork pot pie with a pork broth rue.

Back