Restaurant Style/Fall-Off-the-Bone Baby Back Ribs??

Beau_Jess

Hey Guys,

I need to make some Fall-Off-the-Bone Restaurant Style Baby Back Ribs for some family coming into town. These aren't my preferred style but what do you guys do to achieve these? I usually use 2 3/4 lb - 3 lb racks I get get from Costco. I made some today at 275° and used something close to a 3-1-1 type cook. Ribs were great but weren't falling off the bone by any means

I'm thinking of using a 2-2-1 type cook at 250° to achieve the desired Fall-Off-the-Bone
Results. Have you guys done anything differently that worked well for these type of Ribs??

Thanks

2-2-1 @ 250 should work fine. Be sure to add some liquid to the foil (apple juice, rum, o.j. or even some water) but not too much. IMO, the ribs will generate their own liquid/steam but if you want to, do it. But then, you already knew that ;)

It's the foiling time that will determine your fall-offedness (yuk).

Last edited:
I think I'd rather get the results using 275°. Fat seems to render better at the higher temp. I'll just need to adjust my cook times. Maybe 2-2-1/2 or something like that

I regularly cook my Costco Loin Back ribs at 275+ until the bark is set, then foil until the degree of doneness I wish appears. My family and friends prefer more tender ribs than I do, so I do it for them. Even I prefer a bit more tender than competition ribs.

Good luck on your next cook. We are pulling for you:eek:

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I regularly cook my Costco Loin Back ribs at 275+ until the bark is set, then foil until the degree of doneness I wish appears. My family and friends prefer more tender ribs than I do, so I do it for them. Even I prefer a bit more tender than competition ribs.

Good luck on your next cook. We are pulling for you:eek:

Keep on smokin',

Is the Bark setting up by 2 hours or is it taking longer for your cooks at 275°? I usually mop after 2 hours and then wrap in foil after 3 hours. I have noticed the Bark is setting pretty good at about 2.5 hours when I do my smokes at 275° but I don't really check it at the 2 hour mark but maybe I should.

Beau_Jess;
I check my ribs at 2.0 hrs. If the bark is not yet set, I let them go until it is. Each piece of meat is a bit different, so the time will vary a bit. I pretty much follow Harry Soo's plan on ribs:

file:///C:/Users/Dale/Downloads/2010tvwbharrysoo%20(1).pdf

However, since I am cooking to a specific "crowd", I cook my ribs until they are more tender than competition ribs.

I do something different than some - I always use rib racks in both my 14.5" and 18.5" WSMs. I cut all of my racks of ribs in two and do one rack full on the top grate and one rack full on the bottom grate. Further, after I foil them, I remove the racks and swap grates, just laying the foiled ribs in stacks. I typically do a full package of ribs (ends up being six halves).

Keep on smokin',

Last edited:
I don't wrap my ribs, I cook them to approx. 200 internal temp. That's when they fall off the bone. They're done as early as 150, but fall off the bone is approx. 200. My ideal pit temp is 250-275

Beau_Jess;
I check my ribs at 2.0 hrs. If the bark is not yet set, I let them go until it is. Each piece of meat is a bit different, so the time will vary a bit. I pretty much follow Harry Soo's plan on ribs:

file:///C:/Users/Dale/Downloads/2010tvwbharrysoo%20(1).pdf

However, since I am cooking to a specific "crowd", I cook my ribs until they are more tender than competition ribs.

I do something different than some - I always use rib racks in both my 14.5" and 18.5" WSMs. I cut all of my racks of ribs in two and do one rack full on the top grate and one rack full on the bottom grate. Further, after I foil them, I remove the racks and swap grates, just laying the foiled ribs in stacks. I typically do a full package of ribs (ends up being six halves).

Keep on smokin',

from the link Robert_Mcgee mentioned:

You can download it here: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?21030-PDF-The-BBQ-Wisdom-of-Harry-Soo

Ribs

Rib cooking temps: 275 degrees renders the fat better and faster. Faster is good so the rib does not dry out. Also, bark forms better at 275 degrees on ribs.

Slap Yo Daddy Rib Technique:

Apply a medium coat of Slap Yo Daddy (SYD) rub Smoke @ 275 degrees for 3 hours (this forms the bark) Foil with Apple Juice Drizzle with Agave Nectar Cover with a light coat of Brown Sugar Return the foiled ribs to the Smoker Check for doneness after another hour Bush on your favorite BBQ sauce Char on Grill for 5 minutes Cut into bones and enjoy

For contests, trim your ribs so there are only 9-10 bones. That way, the edge ones don't get burnt. Also ensure you're not cooking higher than 275 degrees. Spray with your favorite liquid after bark forms (about 2-3 hours depending on pit moisture and air humidity). I recommend spritzing every 15 minutes

Variations:

Try 5-spice powder with dark soy sauce if you want to make Chinese style spareribs. Try the red roast pork Char-Siew powder (available from asian markets) also. For teriyaki, use Yoshida sauce from Costo/Sams For heat, use Rooster brand hot sauce (Sriracha)
3-4-2010
© Slap Yo Daddy BBQ 2010 Page 4

Slap Yo’ Daddy BBQ Amazing St. Louis Spare Ribs ( http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/ )

2 slabs St. Louis Spare Ribs (2 1/4 to 2 3/4 lbs each) - ask your butcher to trim a regular Spare Rib into a St. Louis rib for you. A St. Louis rib is a regular Spare Rib with the rib tip and skirt flap removed

½ cup SYD All Purpose Rub

2 cups brown sugar

1 cup Apple Juice

2 tbs Clover Honey

½ cup of your favorite BBQ sauce

Remove the membrane from the bone side of ribs. Place ribs on aluminum foil pan and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle both sides evenly with the SYD Rib Rub; about 2 tbsp of rub for each side. Let ribs rest in the refrigerator for 1 hour to allow the rub to “sweat” into meat. Place ribs meat side up into a 275 – 300 degree smoker with some hickory wood chips.

After two hours and when a crust has formed, remove from smoker and place meat side up on a sheet of aluminum foil. Sprinkle an even thin layer of brown sugar on meat. Drizzle honey next. Flip over so bone side is up. Repeat the brown sugar and honey step. Put 3-4 tbsp of apple juice at the bottom of the foil before folding the ribs up into a airtight pouch. Return to smoker and cook for another 1 ½ hours.

After 3 ½ hours total cook time, unwrap the foil and check the ribs for doneness. Use a toothpick and poke the meat between the bones. If the toothpick slides in easily, the ribs are done. You can also tell it’s done when the meat pulls away about ½ inch from the ends of the bones. If not yet done, close the foil, return to smoker, and check back in 10 minutes. Repeat until ribs are done. Be patient while they tenderize. When done, remove from foil and paint on a thin layer of your favorite BBQ sauce. Return to smoker for 10 minutes for sauce to set.

Rib bark is produced nicely when temps are higher around 275 degrees. You need sufficient moisture and smoke also. If you use my SYD Rub recipe on my website, you'll get beautiful bark. I have enough sugar (brown and white) to promote the Maillaird reaction and caramelization.

If you're doing competitions, I wouldn't let the top ribs drip on the bottom ribs as that will mar the perfect bark finish you're striving for your bottom racks. Instead I would only load the bottom rack with meat (any kind) once bark forms on my top grate ribs (usually about 3 hours @ 275 degrees).

I don't wrap my ribs, I cook them to approx. 200 internal temp. That's when they fall off the bone. They're done as early as 150, but fall off the bone is approx. 200. My ideal pit temp is 250-275
U have problems with them drying out?

I also cut mine in half and I foil. When I foil I use the honey, brown sugar and 1/4C AJ. I heat the AJ in a microwave so it doesn't cool down the meat before getting it back on the grate. I tried the margarine thing, but I'm not a fan of it since we only use butter.

Back