Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Another Hurricane??

Here in the southern piedmont, and more so in the upstate (SC), reports of wind damage, and power outages, are already coming in from downed trees & such, and the winds are expected to pick up through the night. I've moved my cars to safer locations for now.

Thanks for the offer, Lew. I don't have exact addresses at the moment.
    Last edited by Rusty James; 09-13-2017 at 05:58 PM.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", & Royal Oak Lump / Briquettes

Hi guys, I'm Lew Newby's son and he has asked me to post a status update for him. He and my mom came through the storm just fine. No apparent damage to the property. They are currently still without grid power but the generator is chugging away. They have a few lights, the fridge, freezer and a radio and of course his collection of smokers and grills.

Just giving an update.

Quote Originally Posted by LewNewbyJr View Post
    Hi guys, I'm Lew Newby's son and he has asked me to post a status update for him. He and my mom came through the storm just fine. No apparent damage to the property. They are currently still without grid power but the generator is chugging away. They have a few lights, the fridge, freezer and a radio and of course his collection of smokers and grills.

Just giving an update.
    Great news! Thanks for the update!
    18" Weber Kettle, 22" Weber Kettle, and new family member 18" Weber Smokey Mountain, all fueled by

Welcome to the forum, Lew Jr.

Thanks for the update!
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", & Royal Oak Lump / Briquettes

Duke Energy restored our power at about 7:30 last night and the cable came on while we slept. I didn't expect that this soon. My generator is 5500 watts so I could power the fridge, freezer, a floor lamp, and two window air conditioners on the sun porch. They kept the whole house at a lower temp than it was outside so we lived comfortably. I used small appliances one at a time and never came close to overloading the generator. Central Florida is steadily working our way back to normal. It just takes time.

Dan, did it get to you?.
    Old dog, learning new tricks - one cook at a time :-). - -14.5" WSM , 22.5" WSM , 1998 22" Performer (Red) with Vortex, Auber ATC

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    Glad you're back to full power Lew.
    There's nothing like seeing lights flicker back on, ceiling fan blades start to turn, and hearing the a/c start to hum.
    Cooking a steak to well done is like killing the bovine twice.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Great to here that the power is coming back on for a lot of folks. That's got to make life a little easier in this disaster.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Newby View Post
    Duke Energy restored our power at about 7:30 last night and the cable came on while we slept. I didn't expect that this soon. My generator is 5500 watts so I could power the fridge, freezer, a floor lamp, and two window air conditioners on the sun porch. They kept the whole house at a lower temp than it was outside so we lived comfortably. I used small appliances one at a time and never came close to overloading the generator. Central Florida is steadily working our way back to normal. It just takes time.

Dan, did it get to you?.
    Luckily for us, it had pretty much fallen apart by the time it got up here. There were some downed trees and lots of small branches and leaves, but it never got too bad here. I never lost power, tv, or internet. I think the damage last year from Hermine was worse for us than this was. Glad you're ok.
    18" Weber Kettle, 22" Weber Kettle, and new family member 18" Weber Smokey Mountain, all fueled by

Glad to hear you are doing well and didn't have to go through the hurricane.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234