Newbie, And I Mean NEWBIE With Some Questions...

Jason C.W.

My name is Jason and I want to be a SMOKE-AHOLIC, lol.

So a little intro about me. 41 yrs old, active duty Master Chief in the US Navy and stationed in San Diego. I've been reading BBQ forums the last 3 months and finally decided on the WSM 18.5" which I bought yesterday for $183.00 out the door (floor model) which I believe was a steal of a deal considering they are $300 new.

I also picked up a few extras for the smoker based on post that I've read on here:

- Gasket for front opening/lid
- BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud
- Lid Hinge

I have most normal BBQ items since I own a Weber Genesis grill such as tongs, spatula, etc but curious what other items you'd recommend that I need. I'm open to any/all suggestions so fire away. Not worried about the price of any features, I have a sugar momma who will buy me whatever I want as this is my birthday present so help me spend my birthday money please.

What else do I need?

1. Custom Cover (will the one that comes with it fit with the new hinge installed)
2. Upgraded aftermarket stainless steel door (Cajun Bandit)
3. Handles for sides
4. Caster Wheels
5. Upgraded Thermostat For Top Lid (which would you recommend)
6. Chimney (which size)
7. Extra grate on bottom to keep small charcoal from falling through OEM grate
8. Terra-cotta saucer instead of water inside water bowl
9. Extra food probes for CyberQ
10. Heat Resistant Cooking Gloves (any recommendations)
11. Grate Brush (any recommendations)
12. Charcoal (I’ll buy local, but what brand does everyone recommend "Kingsford Blue")
13. Handheld Meat Thermometer
14. Propane Torch Adapter vice Firestarter cubes?

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Master Chief. There's a link to The Virtual Weber Bullet site at the top of this page. Tons of good info for new owners on there. Keep smiling, that was a great price for the 18.5. A typical Master Chief score.

That's some list. You already picked up some things that really aren't necessary to start. If you use the gasket you shouldn't need the CB door. Get the full size Chimney. Get a long pair of welding gloves. Silicone gloves for food handling. I did put handles on my center body, charcoal grate and lower cooking grate. Get some wide Aluminum foil and just foil your water pan. I use KBB charcoal - cheap and available everywhere. Instead of replacing the lid thermometer just use your CyberQ to monitor temp. I don't have a CyberQ but I think that will do the job for you. The Thermoworks Thermapen will cost but worth it as long as you're spending big. ;) I have no preference for a grill brush.

My personal belief is that you learn to control temp manually before you start cooking with the cyber Q. Why? If the power goes out your Webers become your kitchen range. I'm expecting that to happen to us on Sunday so I have my backup kitchen safely in the garage. Enjoy that WSM.

Lew stole my thunder on the welding gloves. Cheap, readily available, and great for using on a hot grill too. My brother got me some silicone gloves last year. I don't use them a lot but they work better than anything else I've tried for getting large hunks of fall-apart-tender meat off the smoker.

For the chimney I would suggest the smaller one, though it depends on how you're going to use it. For the WSM I seldom light more than about a dozen briquettes. I usually turn my large chimney upside down and put the charcoal in the upturned bottom so it stays together better and lights faster. I think the smaller chimney would be a better choice for me, assuming I was buying strictly for the WSM. I also have a Weber kettle so the full size chimney is needed for the grill. Since you have a gas grill, the smaller chimney might be the better choice.

For starting I just use two sheets of newspaper and a standard grill lighter. There's a very long thread here on starting a fire. Doing it efficiently is not as obvious a thing as you might think. You might want to give that a look.

I never use a grate brush on the WSM. I always wash the grates in a big old wash tub that my dad picked up from somewhere. I do use an old dish washing brush to get off the stubborn bits, but it has nylon bristles. On the grill I use a grate brush because the fire is hot enough to carbonize whatever is left from the last cook. The WSM doesn't get that hot.

If you aren't looking to burn cash on the Thermapen, ThermoWorks has several other models that are just as accurate, almost as fast, and a LOT cheaper. Just be sure to buy from their web site. I don't think they sell through any other online merchants so any listings you see are third party merchants who often charge way more than ThermoWorks does.

One thing you didn't mention was smoke wood. For a long time I used whatever I could find in the local stores. This year I bought a box of mixed fruit woods from Fruita Wood. It felt odd ordering smoke wood over the internet, but I figured it was just as important a flavor component as the meat and the seasonings, so it was worth it to at least give it a try. I don't know if it really makes a huge difference but I've liked the results I've gotten. I like the milder smoke flavor of the fruit woods with pork and chicken. I think the peach wood goes very well with pork.

Congrats on the great deal.

To help you decide what size chimney you need read this because it drove my recommendation. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chicken4.html If you might do Chicken hot and fast then the big one. If not then get the small one.

Also, I don't know if this is possible but can you use one burner on your Genesis to start your charcoal in the chimney?

Edit, I talked to my son who has a genesis and he said his side burner is perfect for starting a charcoal chimney. I didn't know they had side burners.

Last edited:
My name is Jason and I want to be a SMOKE-AHOLIC, lol.

So a little intro about me. 41 yrs old, active duty Master Chief in the US Navy and stationed in San Diego. I've been reading BBQ forums the last 3 months and finally decided on the WSM 18.5" which I bought yesterday for $183.00 out the door (floor model) which I believe was a steal of a deal considering they are $300 new.

I also picked up a few extras for the smoker based on post that I've read on here:

- Gasket for front opening/lid
- BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud
- Lid Hinge

I have most normal BBQ items since I own a Weber Genesis grill such as tongs, spatula, etc but curious what other items you'd recommend that I need. I'm open to any/all suggestions so fire away. Not worried about the price of any features, I have a sugar momma who will buy me whatever I want as this is my birthday present so help me spend my birthday money please.

What else do I need?

1. Custom Cover (will the one that comes with it fit with the new hinge installed) Fits without side handles.
2. Upgraded aftermarket stainless steel door (Cajun Bandit) Not needed with gaskets.
3. Handles for sides Not really needed with 18.5
4. Caster Wheels I like mine for portability.
5. Upgraded Thermostat For Top Lid (which would you recommend) Not needed.
6. Chimney (which size) Either will work. I use a torch now to get center started.
7. Extra grate on bottom to keep small charcoal from falling through OEM grate Useful.
8. Terra-cotta saucer instead of water inside water bowl Yes
9. Extra food probes for CyberQ Hold off until you find it necessary.
10. Heat Resistant Cooking Gloves (any recommendations) See other replies.
11. Grate Brush (any recommendations) Use aluminum foil.
12. Charcoal (I’ll buy local, but what brand does everyone recommend "Kingsford Blue") see sig
13. Handheld Meat Thermometer See sig, works great and inexpensive (Amazon).
14. Propane Torch Adapter vice Firestarter cubes? I now use a torch vs. chimney.

Happy smoking!!!

A member recommended a "Billy Bar" for cleaning and I like it quite a bit. I got the small one and it works pretty well.
I like the large chimney for kettle work, the last smoke I did I just used a torch to fire the "sidewinder" Minion method with good results. I also have a mini chimney and two full size so all bases are covered.
You can always just put ten briquettes in the full size but, you cannot put 100 in the little one! Have "Sugar" give you a big Amazon card, then you can start getting thing as you need them.
You will find things that work for you and things that might not, take your time don't get too caught up in "stuff" it's pretty easy but, don't tell anyone that!

Welcome on the board, Jason!

I'm about to get my first WSM (a 14.5") but I plan to do a few cooks on it before thinking about modding it. On the other side, I already have a Maverick ET733, a Thermapen, big chimney, etc, as I smoked a lot in my kettle previously. Good luck and keep on smoking!

I have a sugar momma who will buy me whatever I want as this is my birthday present so help me spend my birthday money please.

LOL! Are you Maximo (How to be a Latin Lover)?

I use both the compact and standard chimneys, depending on what I'm doing. And I use Firestarter cubes, though I have a ton of packing paper saved from Amazon shopaholic purchases. I started with paper but quickly migrated to cubes. Just a personal preference.
I lay a 24"X24" piece of sheet metal from Home Depot on my cement to rest the chimney. I think it's this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-24-in-x-24-in-16-Gauge-Plain-Sheet-Metal-800657/204604786

I use this to monitor my pit (at grate) and food, but I also have the CyberQ (often, I prefer manually adjusting my intake and exhaust vents rather than using a controller). I do not wash my probes; I ruined some during my infant smoke days by washing them: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00ANCXJR6/tvwb-20

I use this to probe my food once I believe I'm near completion: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00NMQGAQW/tvwb-20

I used to use this to clean my grates (be it WSM's, Kettles, or gassers): https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01AKQ98MO/tvwb-20 . It works beautifully to remove debris and I used to ignore cautionary statements about stray bristles being injested. However; when I ordered the very same replacement brush it shed like a dog from day one. Currently, I use aluminum foil to scrape my grates and I never wash them. I'm currently experimenting with this but have no feedback, yet (other than the fact that I prefer to clean my grates when they are hot and after the cook): https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00IJ3C28I/tvwb-20

I consume quite a bit of foil, so I purchased these two rolls from this vendor: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice-18-x-500-food-service-heavy-duty-aluminum-foil-roll/12218X5HD.html and https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice-24-x-1000-food-service-heavy-duty-aluminum-foil-roll/12224X1HD.html

I do use the Cajun Bandit doors on my 22 and 18 but they fit no tighter than my stock doors (though they don't leak enough that I cannot maintain my target temps within reason). I use them because I feel their locks are much more robust and one of my stock doors felt as though its lock was about to fall apart.

I've been smoking for not quite 2 years and the only charcoal I use is KBB (the blue bag) and I always buy them when someone offers the two-bag bundle for $9.88 (each bag is 18.6 lbs.). Someday, I'll experiment with others.
I have 2 small ash cans; one into which I dump ash and store for a few days before disposing of, and the other for leftover coals to be reused for later cooks.

I have a nylon putty knife to remove chunks of debris from inside the pits.
Depending on your individual situation and smoking habit you may need a wind shield contraption.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Hi Jason, and welcome!

That is a BIG list you have there. I'm a contrarian...I would suggest doing none of the things on your list and try cooking with the WSM just as it comes out of the box for a while. That way you will learn the pros and cons of the cooker as-designed and can decide what mods you really want to make. None are absolutely necessary to get started.

My 2 cents,
Chris

Edit: I've been cooking 20 years on my WSM and the only two mods I ever made to it were drilling the lid for a thermometer (in 1997 they didn't come with one) and using a higher capacity water pan on long cooks.

Hi Jason, and welcome!

That is a BIG list you have there. I'm a contrarian...I would suggest doing none of the things on your list and try cooking with the WSM just as it comes out of the box for a while. That way you will learn the pros and cons of the cooker as-designed and can decide what mods you really want to make. None are absolutely necessary to get started.

My 2 cents,
Chris

+1. You don't need any of that to make excellent BBQ.

Welcome, Master Chief. Agreement here with most that has been said...

Have patience when cooking bbq, as the the rewards are so enjoyable !

btw, my wife is down at NTC today doing a triathlon ! She stayed right next door to the, once very familiar, USS Recruit TDE-1.

Bob
(rode DesRon 27 ships, including the squadron's namesake...)

Last edited:
Welcome, Master Chief. Agreement here with most that has been said...

Have patience when cooking bbq, as the the rewards are so enjoyable !

btw, my wife is down at NTC today doing a triathlon ! She stayed right next door to the, once very familiar, USS Recruit TDE-1.

Bob
(rode DesRon 27 ships, including the squadron's namesake...)

I work across the street from USS RECRUIT ironically.

Upgrades are all up to you. Try the weber cover and see if it works. It has a little extra room so it might work. New door isn't needed just optional as well as casters and handles. I suggest a digital pit probe. Chimney is handy but I prefer use fire starters. I feel it's easier to hit desired temp this way. Starting with too many lit coals can be a disaster. Extra fire grate works wonders for coal efficiency. Sand instead of terra cotta will work the same but might be tougher to handle. Extra probes, heat resistant gloves, and instant read therm all a must. I prefer Kingsford original aka kbb or Kingsford blue bag. Easier to find and can stock up on big sales throughout the year. Welcome to the club and yes, you got a steal on your smoker.

Hi Jason, and welcome!

My 2 cents,
Chris

Edit: I've been cooking 20 years on my WSM and the only two mods I ever made to it were drilling the lid for a thermometer (in 1997 they didn't come with one) and using a higher capacity water pan on long cooks.

Funny. I can't imagine a smoker without a built in thermometer.

Do you have a picture of the WSM before and after you added the thermometer?

Mine doesn't have a thermometer, has not impeded my enjoyment one iota!
Sometimes less is more.
That said, I do have a grate level pit thermometer and, it works a charm!

Bought my 18" WSM "Classic" in the year 2008 in which I only have added over the last nine(9) years a good ET-732 and ET-733 Thermometers,Welding Gloves,Large Weber Chimney,Thermopop Thermometer.

Good going Master Chief as I am a US Navy Reserve Vet who served aboard the USS Yorktown, CVS-10, for my two(2) year Active Duty stint as a PN3 during the years 1961-1963. We were "Home Ported" at that time in Long Beach, CA in which during my time our ship made two(2) complete "WestPac" trips to the Far East Ports. My Basic Training was completed at the now "defunk" NTC in beautiful San Diego.

Last edited:

Back