Great Birthday Gift

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
Last month I was talking to my wife about making a Mini WSM. She asked "why?" so I explained how much hassle the 22's weight is to use for just the two of us. I told her the Mini is about the same as the 14" WSM. She replied that I SHOULD order the 14 for my birthday. 53 years of marriage has it's rewards. :D It came 10 days ago and I've done a rack of ribs on it. Cooks just like it's big brothers. When Lowes emailed that I could get a free 15# bag of Royal Oak I picked it up and plan to use it in the little guy.

My Grandson (father of two little ones) said it looks like something Fisher Price would make. My daughter said "it's cute" and compared to the 22 I guess she's right.

Mods: I wired the charcoal ring to the grate and cut a groove in the top of the center section for probe wires. I will never use the grommet. I put down a a piece of sheet metal on the table and then put the heat shield on a can under the charcoal bowl. The door needed a slight tweak but seals great.

I am tickled pink with the weight, temp control, and how tight it is. The 22 is for family get togethers and the 14 is now the workhorse.

Congrats on the new little fellow Lew!
I got the 14" a couple years ago and have used my 18" only a couple of times since.
It's perfect cooking for two, or a few, as you're finding out.

PS, I grilled some pork steaks yesterday, so I get to keep my St Louisan membership. :)
Just don't tell anyone that I sauced with Bandana's instead of Maulls. :rolleyes:

Bob, if you're in or from St. Louis ya gotta do pork steaks. I sear them on the grill and then put them in a covered foil pan and cook them indirect at about 250° for 2 hours. My family loves them and the meat is very tender.

I agree that the 14" is perfect for 2 people but since the family comes for BBQ about 10 times a year the 22 will get some usage.

I have the 18 and 14 WSMs, and the 14 gets the nod much of the time.

Congratulations on your 14, Lew!

Happy belated birthday. Congrats on the 14, sounds like you're off and running real nice

Yeah Mike and since my wife loves Q and doesn't mind eating my experiments I will cook more frequently now that I have the little guy.

Happy Birthday Lew. Congrats on the 14.5 WSM, it's the only smoker I have and it's perfect for my family.

Back