Gasket Made My Smoker Like New!

Adam E

Hi folks. I just wanted to let anyone with same problem that I had know how to fix it.

I have an old, original 18.5" and things changed so slowly over the years that I didn't really notice it until I did a Boston Butt last weekend and the temperature was really hard to control. At one point, I couldn't get it below 300°. I gave up and finished it in the oven.

I knew there was some air leakage as the sections got a bit out-of-round, but it was manageable - or so I thought.

This week I bought some BBQ gasket and installed it posthaste. I'm right now doing a couple racks of baby backs I can't believe the difference. The temps are easy to maintain and I can even choke it down to nothing if I choose. Kinda like when it was new, but better!

I highly recommend this fix if your having problems with the temperature!

If anyone cares exactly how I did it, I'll post pics if you want.

Now, to get back to my Steely Dan marathon in honor of Walter Becker!

-Adam

Last edited:
OTOH, it may have just needed some cleaning around the rim. It won't go out-of-round on its own. Glad it worked for you in any case :)

Hi Adam,

I would like to see your pictures :)

I burned my old 18" for the first time in years last night and noticed all the smoke escaping at different places. Maybe I am naive but I have never been bothered by smoke escaping as I know there is plenty of it continually filling up the volume of the cooker and it has to escape. So escaping heat/smoke shouldn't be a worry or so I think. In your case it stopped air from sneaking in past the controls - and in my case it is smoke escaping everywhere. I am just trying to think through how a gasket might help.

When they leak too much, controlling air flow is more difficult. Smokey mountains truly are super efficient. When you have lots of escaping smoke you also have escaping heat ,but the main problem is outdoor breezes feeding the charcoal oxygen.
A couple weeks ago I pushed mine into the garage when the meat was done. With no wind blowing on it,the temp needle was down in no time. I had lots of charcoal left over. If it had big leaks around the bottom seam,it would be harder kill the fire.
A leaky smoker makes the oxygen feeding the fire harder to control.

I agree. Using gaskets turns the WSM into a really efficient "smoke oven".

So, who are you "Reelin' in the Years" with "Peg" or "Aja"? I'm with "Peg" because "Rickie (DID) Lose that Number" and I couldn't call her. :rolleyes:

Back