ATC Not Holding temperature

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
Yesterday I did a cook on my 22.5 WSM. I had a 6 lb pork butt and 4 lb. Brisket flat on the top shelf. I have the first Auber ATC for the WSM with a 6.5 CFM fan. Target temp was 250°. This is the third time I have used the Auber on the 22.5 and it worked fine the first two times with the top vent about 2/3 open.

Yesterday in the first hour of the cook the temp dropped to 220° I had to open the top vent all the way and one lower vent at about 90% open to maintain 250°. The fan was only giving 1 to 2 second bursts. I don't understand why that happened and why the fan cycles were so short. I need help figuring this out. Any ideas?

I was in a similar boat. I got my Auber last Christmas and it seemed to work well. This spring and summer I was having issues with it dropping and overshooting. Worked with Auber and they have updated their manual. This seems to have helped.
P=1.8
I=1200
D=70
SouF=.8 or .9
SF(under code 0037) = 30

Thanks for that. I was going to call them today but a lady named Irma got my attention and I've been doing hurricane prep all day.

I sent Auber an email and this is part .of their response. I told them I had done an autotune. "...The problem was probably caused by the PID parameters from the auto-tuning. The default PID setting should be fine for WSM 22.5". (P = 1.2, I = 300, d = 70). Could you change them back and try again...." That's the info I needed

They responded within 2 hours. Great customer service again.

Back