The crispiest wings come from my Weber Q

RD Hauch

TVWBB Member
My Weber Q1200 is my favorite cooker for wings. They always come out crispy and delicious. Much better than on my other grills.

Does that include any other gas grill, RD?

My old Sunbeam gasser does a great job on chicken wings too.

I have a great Buffalo Wing recipe that I use for the oven. I am going to have to give it a shot on my gasser. I will probably use my Genny 1000 instead of my Q100 though.

What makes the Q so great at some of these things is the better contact to the heat surface the "Q" has compared to other types of grills. Which is another reason the new Weber grills are such a let down because of their huge spaces between grates. But, I digress

Does that include any other gas grill, RD?

My old Sunbeam gasser does a great job on chicken wings too.

My Q1200 is the only gasser that I have experience with. I think it is the slow and even heat on the cast iron grates that make them so crispy.

Ok, I love wings, so cough it up, how do you do it ?

My favorite way to grill wings is I put the separate wing sections in a big ziplock bag with some mayonnaise, season them liberally with Old Bay seasoning, then I moosh them around in the bag till evenly covered with the spicy sauce and grill them on my Q1200 on the lowest setting. I turn and move the wings around frequently till they are well browned and crisped. If you haven't tried Old Bay seasoning I recommend it highly for wings. Im pretty sure that it is widely available.

Just made a 5lb batch of Buffalo Wings for dinner on the Genesis 1000.

04KZl3Q.jpg

I will be happy to post the recipe if any one requests it.

Here it is. It is really quite simple. It is designed for the oven, but after doing them on the grill, I don't think I will ever use the oven again. They come out so much more crispy, and tasty, on the grill. I used my Thermoworks Smoke remote thermometer to keep the temp right around 400. I used the ambient probe just above the grates. I found that the front and rear burners on about medium and the middle burner off were just about right to maintain the 400 degree range, but it varies with juices dripping and burning off through the cook so it has to be monitored. I am sure you can do it without the thermometer to monitor the temps, but you will have to keep an eye on it.

This recipe is for 5 lbs of wings which was just right for my grill size (Genesis 1000). It could be halved for a smaller batch.
=============
Buffalo Chicken Wings w/Sauce

Ingredients
2/3 cup hot pepper sauce (such as Frank's RedHot(R))
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
salt to taste
4-5 lbs chicken wings

Directions
1. Combine the hot sauce, butter, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and salt in a pot and place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer while stirring with a whisk. As soon as the liquid begins to bubble on the sides of the pot, remove from heat, stir with the whisk, and set aside for use.

2. Bake Chicken Wings for 400 degrees for 35 minutes, then place in a bowl, coat with sauce. They can be served as is or baked to allow the sauce to glaze on the wings.

Last edited:
If you haven't tried Old Bay seasoning I recommend it highly for wings. Im pretty sure that it is widely available.

Good stuff!

A friend from Maryland introduced us to it years ago. We shake it on raw shrimp before steaming it over a mixture of water and vinegar. We'll have to try your recipe though!

Back