Suggestions for my first tritip

I picked up a very beautiful looking tritip from jungle jims and have never cooked, or eaten one. It has a fat cap, do i trim it? 50/50 S&P? I've been wanting to have a go at tritip for awhile now. Planning on cooking it next weekend. Any suggestions, tips, or hints much appreciated.

They sometimes come with a fat cap, especially when purchased in bulk packaging, but more often than not they're trimmed of all surface fat. There should be plenty of marbling in the meat to keep it juicy. You can do S&P but we like to add some garlic powder to that. The thin end will overcook a bit, just grill to about 135-140°F in the thickest part and you'll be eating good!

Let rest a few minutes before slicing across the grain.

Collect the juices and dip slices as they go onto the plate.

MQZzUqY.jpg

WSGb256.jpg

Thanks Chris! It does have beautiful marbeling. Your photos look delicous, man i cant wait. I'd do it tomorrow but, im smoking a butt.

Should i trim the fatcap? What temp. Should my grill be?
I trim it mostly off.
Get a chimney of coals going for a 2 zone fire, cook indirect to about 115 internal, then go direct to sear both sides.
I take them off to rest at 135, but cook to whatever doneness you like.

QBkHgToh0E9nutkkuqLwSZgrm10wObSYg6nBxGt6GZTVorclJ3WjPuQ321xbeTvtmKfnJDv09EBattLMT51Fw33OmaR3bUrXHpUOp2NVnImmCSKurDq2V9c7h89W1DPg_X4O4EMAGWSIf18jTJUiCnbToZmv7wVbnH4QQcfMsi9FbdG4pnpaGV1660E4aW62Fk8jNU4pGozzGP4v5UVLGVUZLdKEspoDBcklRGjkG9XT8MpVM4alc8sosypKViq3bYG_zWZWqocAK_0K-GsIswdDr6v11D24LfcrVkZBYI4T0PaGV67KFfjMMzwUzMy8hD3KE3qscyAvvUpu95CU9ZIr0arot1bpTMFdN8kYL1nlzyuHXAnTuLqd8PXMnMWp1vOPjlXa9D7I7JnNle5SVlMOW7dQI5qEECUl5W7z9Z9DCoAQIsPbLyxSFc8PvHADpF-8KpVwlO7ceaPUB0wqKaDB6-fJ5Q6PjKIBAXDNPb-ZfWvmoKnfJKNsdN0wmHjQgVchB13I4__qgtQueSmKAuZgRyW4EwkgR-aEPA2RHlg5Aj0ckYYMC5mK9wBwl_R8-nXjl5yR14XeKje1zU0JkxLytwo-ke39Iu6sV1klYwTno7x1grXfWA=w1344-h896-no

I do the same as Bob but I pull mine to rest at 125. Also I season it with SPOG lightly so it doesn't overpower the beef flavor.

I like to trim all the fat off and cut the tri-tip into 2 pieces right at the black line shown in the pic above. I use (like) a 50/50 mix of McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Chicken and Steak seasonings. To bbq, I the sear both sides of the meat over very hot coals only about 2 minutes, then take-off the grill and then rest the meat on a cooling rack for 10-15 minutes. Meantime I try to get the Jumbo Joe's temps down to 230, put the meat back on and cook to an internal temp of 133 (by Igrill2). I don't rest the meat afterwards...just carve away. BTW, the left side of the tri-tip is generally more tender than the right.

If you have not done your tri tip yet, you could slice a steak from it about an inch and a quarter thick. You would want to cook that as you would a steak, not
as you would with the tri tip roast. It would be interesting to see how you like both styles. Either way, enjoy the tri tip!

Don't think that is Prime

This one may have been USDA Prime, your marbling may vary. :)

If you think that that piece of meat is well-marbled, you have not seen much Prime beef. Not that it may not have been a testy piece of meat. Do a google search for prime steak and look at the images. Lots of fat streaks.

If you think that that piece of meat is well-marbled, you have not seen much Prime beef. Not that it may not have been a testy piece of meat. Do a google search for prime steak and look at the images. Lots of fat streaks.
Tri tips are very different than steaks when it comes to marbling.
I've cooked Select, Choice, and Prime tri tips.
Not a big difference in the looks of any of them.

Oh, and to say Mr Allingham hasn't seen much Prime beef is pretty darn funny. :)

Thanks all, i value everyones experience very much. The tritip i bought is choice grade. I am very excited and impressed with the beautiful red color of the meat and the marbeling is something i have never seen in person before. It was the least expensive per pound that i have found in cincinnati. I've seen them at butcher shops for between $9-12 per pound. I paid $8. And the ones at the butcher were smaller, less superior color and marbeling.

Tri tips are very different than steaks when it comes to marbling.
I've cooked Select, Choice, and Prime tri tips.

According to the USDA, one of the major arbiters of grade (prime, choice, or select) is the amount of marbling. Look it up. Cut of beef is not mentioned, so I don't know what you mean saying tri tips are different than steaks.

Compare this image of a prime tri tip from Lobels with the one above. Pretty clear difference in marbling, hence my comment.

J5rnwOT.jpg

edit, see next post.
None of the Primes I've bought, or seen posted here, had near that much marbling.
At 20 bucks a pound I'll never see one.
http://www.lobels.com/usda-prime-tri-tip/p/UPTRI

I stand by my statement that Chris knows Prime beef when he sees it.

Here's a pic of one of my Primes before cooking, and after.
Fat streaks are gone after cooking.

IMGP4250.JPG

IMGP4256.JPG

IMGP4260.JPG

Last edited:
Prime Tri Tips

edit, see next post.
None of the Primes I've bought, or seen posted here, had near that much marbling.
At 20 bucks a pound I'll never see one.
http://www.lobels.com/usda-prime-tri-tip/p/UPTRI

I stand by my statement that Chris knows Prime beef when he sees it.

Here's a pic of one of my Primes before cooking, and after.
Fat streaks are gone after cooking.

IMGP4250.JPG

IMGP4256.JPG

IMGP4260.JPG

I think there is a lot of fraud among meat purveyors re selling prime beef. When buying, you need to make a judgment based on marbling. In Conn, Stop & Shop sells Prime strip steaks and I believe they are in fact prime, based on the marbling. Anyway, they taste great. I can also get them at Stew Leonards, but they tend to be 1.5" thick and cost $30. But hey also taste great. As to the other guys opinion, look at the images presented. Which is prime?

My point was, and still is, is that you can't compare Prime grade sirloin (tri tip for example) to Prime grade ribeyes, strips, etc. It is by nature a leaner cut.
There's low end and high end in each grade of beef.
I like Costco since most of their beef is higher end Choice, or true Prime.
Tenderloin, like sirloin, is a lean cut, with very little marbling.

Back