First smoke is going to be BRITU ribs. Quick question.

Kyle L

Should the membrane always be removed? If so, is it easiest to remove at room temp or when the ribs are still cold. Shooting to do my first smoke Monday. Went to Costco and bought 2 packs (6 slabs) today , fingers crossed 😎

I always remove it. I take the ribs out of the fridge and remove the membrane. I never let pork warm up before it goes on the grill.

Lew thank you for the tip! I will surely remove it then. I think the only reason i would leave them at room temp is due to the particular recipe you let them sit so that a "sauce" forms on them, it seems that the salt draws moisture to create the sauce at room temp. At least that is how I read it.

Kyle L,

The baby back ribs I purchase at Costco have had the membrane removed. I like that! Purchase plenty...cut into portions to suit......vacuum seal.....freeze. Take out of the freezer later to use, let thaw.....depending on portion maybe a day or two in the fridge section.

BRITU calls for 2 hours after applying the rub.................then cook.

You will like them...........cook until ribs reach at least 190 degrees. You have another thread about the lid thermometer........at least get a hand held digital thermometer from a kitchen gadget place in order to check the meat temps. Careful with the lid open time, ribs cool quickly and take a long time to get back to where you started.

For BRITU I put the ribs on a rack, large bone end down, cook three hours (no Peeking). After three flip end to end for another hour. In four hours doubt the ribs will be at 190 yet if holding the lid temp in the middle of smoke, experience will tell. Now that the most meaty part of the rib is up, a quick peek for meat temp (with hand held) about every 1/2 hour or so (depending on smoker temp). Others can tell by bending the rack of ribs, some stick a tooth pick into the rib. What ever works...........

Might take a try or two to get it down to a science.

Craig,H

Last edited:
Craig and Lew thank you! I do have a decent quick hand held temp thermometer that i will likely use i would suspect I could stick that through the silicone hole in the side of the smoker to check temp difference. I'm really excited just trying to pick up little bits and pieces as I go. Will I know for sure if the membrane from the Costco ribs is removed, is it pretty obvious?

Craig and Lew thank you! I do have a decent quick hand held temp thermometer that i will likely use i would suspect I could stick that through the silicone hole in the side of the smoker to check temp difference. I'm really excited just trying to pick up little bits and pieces as I go. Will I know for sure if the membrane from the Costco ribs is removed, is it pretty obvious?

Kyle L,

Obvious? Poke/probe the ribs with butter knife, should be easy to find if there.

Craig,H

Hey Kyle,

the reason for removing the membrane is that it is impermeable and does not let any rub or sauce to penetrate into the bone side of the ribs.

BRITU stands for Best Ribs in the Universe. Go to the task bar at the top of this page and click on The Virtual Weber Bullet tab and then click on cooking topics. BRITU is on that page.

Back