Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Donor" Genesis 1000 grill gets the green light for a revival

So here's a bit of an update... I had it in pieces but some parts showed up this weekend and I decided to see how it would look with no missing pieces, plus I wanted to see how those $15 Onlyfire burners would do.

The burners have a nice heft to them like the original Webers, and the fit was perfect. Because they also have the updated design with integrated spider guards, I was able to ditch the original Weber spider guards.

I had a Skyline come in last month with a great frame. I mixed and matched good parts including parts from this donor and sold it to a friend of mine who needed a grill.

I kept the Skyline lid and the condiment rack though, so I decided to make this one into a faux Skyline:

It has aging Weber stainless FBs but I might splurge for the rcplanebuyer set. I threw on a set of porcelain coated stamped steel grates just to make it complete.

I will get around to painting the firebox and the lid end caps, and I still need to redo the slats on the work table, but it doesn't look bad as it sits. It has a certain patina to it.

One thing that I noticed was that it takes significantly longer to heat up than my 5 FB 3-burners, and it also seemed to top out at 520-530 degrees.
    2002 Genesis Silver B, 2004 Genesis Gold C, 1996 Genesis 1000
    Projects: Genesis 1000, Genesis Silver B, Genesis 1000

JKim, that grill looks nice. If you are not going to sell it, I wouldn't get all worked up over making it perfect. One cook and it will look used any way.

One thing about the temps. I recently bought a Thermoworks Smoke remote thermometer and it has one of those probes you put on the grill grates right at the level of the meat. I did some chicken wings on it yesterday and while the temps at food level were at about 300, my lid thermometer was having trouble hitting 200. On high after about 30 minutes, my grill only gets to about 550 on the lid thermometer, but it will be way over that at grate level. There is plenty of heat where your food is, believe me.
    Genesis 1000-Redhead Q100 Q1400

Bruce, the temperature issue was isolated to a lazy thermometer (I swapped it out with a known working one and it easily hit 550+).

I painted the lid caps and the firebox this morning, put it all together, and then went to the dump to get rid of some scrap metal and..... a REDHEAD followed me home

No grates, no FBs, old-style regulator, but LOTS of good parts (even the frame is good).

So, the Faux Skyline idea was shelved in favor of a redhead:

I have enough parts to make another grill with the remaining parts.
    Last edited by JKim in MA; 09-10-2017 at 03:42 PM.

2 other Genesis 1000 donor grills showed up in my radar since my last post. One of them came with new Weber burners, so I swapped the Onlyfire burners out in favor of the Weber ones. I took the wire shelf off and installed it in a grill that I sold.

I then went on a Durawood binge and added a right side flip table:

I'm going to replace the Durawood pieces with real wood next summer, but for now, I like this grill as it sits.

Quote Originally Posted by JKim in MA View Post
    2 other Genesis 1000 donor grills showed up in my radar since my last post. One of them came with new Weber burners, so I swapped the Onlyfire burners out in favor of the Weber ones. I took the wire shelf off and installed it in a grill that I sold.

I then went on a Durawood binge and added a right side flip table:

I'm going to replace the Durawood pieces with real wood next summer, but for now, I like this grill as it sits.
    JKim, that looks nice and functional. The right flip up table really created extra work space!!!
    Last edited by RayM; 10-22-2017 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RayM View Post
    JKim, that looks nice and functional. The right flip up table really created extra work space!!!
    Thanks, Ray. My other 2 grills have a right-side swing table, so whenever I was using this one, I missed having the extra space. Not any longer!

Great work on your projects! Especially like your right side flip tray. I am hoping to do one the same way if I can get my hands on the hardware.

Not having done one before, can you tell me if you need separate right side hardware or can you “flip” left side hardware?

I also think your Skyline is a keeper and think it looks cool already. I went to grad school and worked in Chicago for a short while. It would be fun to come across one (even though my fed up wife would get even more fed up). Don’t see these in Florida hardly at all. If I did get one I would be tempted to go for a Chicago look and stain the wood slats ebony black and try for a black handle and knobs. Good luck on finishing touches!

Quote Originally Posted by JKim in MA View Post
    Thanks, Ray. My other 2 grills have a right-side swing table, so whenever I was using this one, I missed having the extra space. Not any longer!
    are you going to stay with the durawood ?? or using real wood slat in the future?? I know durawood would not last too close to heat, at least wood stands up better to heat and also give the classic look.......

I have two 8-foot sections of red oak 1x2 strips that I paid waaaay too much money for. I'm going with real wood.

Just so that everyone is clear... The redhead grill you see on post #14 and the faux Skyline grill on post #11 is the same grill. I moved the Skyline lid + condiment rack to the Spirit 900 frame, and then sold the Spirit 900 about a month ago

Last edited by JKim in MA; 10-23-2017 at 09:12 AM.

I may have to go ahead on do a second right side table for my Genesis 1000. But, yah, the hardware is the real issue.
    Genesis 1000-Redhead Q100 Q1400

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast