Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Donor" Genesis 1000 grill gets the green light for a revival

"Donor" Genesis 1000 grill gets the green light for a revival

I picked up this grill for free last Friday night (1996 model according to the serial number).

The good:

1) Came with a made in USA (2015 date) propane tank that was full
    2) Came with a set of stainless Weber grates
    3) Came with good stainless flavorizer bars
    4) Finally came across a 1000 that has the swing table intact

The bad:

1) Typical rotted cross frame, rotted out lower frame braces
    2) Cracked burners
    3) Broken handle
    4) Rotted drip rails
    5) Hazy lid, broken handle

Its grates and flavorizer bars went to another grill which was sold this week.

I was going to part it out... but I did see the posts from Jeff MA and Xavier G about using threaded inserts and square tubing. I figured I had nothing to lose to try it on a grill that I was about to throw out.

I'm happy to report that the frame repair was a success and now I'm proceeding with the rehab. My variation of the frame repair was to use a scrap piece of 1.25" tubing from a Weber frame instead, along with threaded inserts for 1.25" tubing.

By adding a $4 cutting wheel to the Harbor Freight angle grinder, I was able to make the repair

I used some spare nylon washers and new stainless 2" 1/4-20 bolts to add the new piece in. You can see the shiny stainless bolt head on the right side of picture here (yes, I know the firebox is facing the wrong way )

I wirewheeled the firebox this morning. For a 21 year old grill, the firebox is in fantastic shape. No warping, no holes. Even the drip rail screws came off easily. I had a set of aluminum Silver B drip rails and I drilled new holes to fit. It worked great.

I'm trying the "Onlyfire" brand burners on Amazon because the set was only $15. I have a spare 13-bar set of flavorizers to use. I'm not sure what I'll do about the grates yet.

I will also try my luck with the Lowes cedar garden stakes to make slats for the tables.

More pics to follow.
    Last edited by JKim in MA; 09-08-2017 at 03:37 PM.
    2002 Genesis Silver B, 2004 Genesis Gold C, 1996 Genesis 1000
    Projects: Genesis 1000, Genesis Silver B, Genesis 1000

TVWBB Fan
    Where the heck are you and Bruce finding these things in ATL almost nothing been looking for a donor grill for a month no hits although I am impatient.

TVWBB Member
    looks like a fun project. I keep hitting refresh looking for a donor grill so i can get the front hanging tray too.

TVWBB Member
    Seems to be quite a few of us in MA that are rehabbing grills.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    Seems to be quite a few of us in MA that are rehabbing grills.
    Sure are.

Jeff

Well, it seems up here if you live in or near a big city, you have a lot to choose from. Looking at the Milwaukee and Minneapolis Craigslist, they pop up pretty regular for $50 or less. Some are junk, some are in pretty good condition.

The OP's find is a good one in my opinion.
    Genesis 1000-Redhead Q100 Q1400

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Boy you guys are scoring big time. Here in Prescott and I also look at Phoenix on CL which is a minimum 200 mile round trip. There isn't anything under $100 in the pre 2000 grills. Even the E/W E series grills are running $175 and up. Not that I need another grill and if you don't believe me just ask Barb she will gladly tell you I don't need another grill.
    Although If I find another 2000 or 3000 with a good frame and price I'll take the wrath from Barb. I want to convert my red head into a 2000.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Dahl View Post
    Boy you guys are scoring big time. Here in Prescott and I also look at Phoenix on CL which is a minimum 200 mile round trip. There isn't anything under $100 in the pre 2000 grills. Even the E/W E series grills are running $175 and up. Not that I need another grill and if you don't believe me just ask Barb she will gladly tell you I don't need another grill.
    Although If I find another 2000 or 3000 with a good frame and price I'll take the wrath from Barb. I want to convert my red head into a 2000.
    There's definitely a surplus of cheap grills in my area and I don't have the time or the energy to collect most of them. For example:

A 2005 Genesis Gold B (it has the stainless cabinet doors, dual swing tables) that appears to need very little, for $50 (except that it's natural gas), and I already have a spare propane manifold. It's 45 minutes away.

A green Genesis 2000 that has the swing table intact for $35, appears to be a great restore candidate. It's 1 hour away.

A 2005 Genesis Silver B Premium (stainless cabinet doors, dual swing tables, black knobs) for $75 that they'd probably take $50 for. It's 20 minutes away -> I'm going to keep tabs on this one.
    Last edited by JKim in MA; 09-03-2017 at 03:52 PM.
    2002 Genesis Silver B, 2004 Genesis Gold C, 1996 Genesis 1000
    Projects: Genesis 1000, Genesis Silver B, Genesis 1000

Yah, those sound like great candidates.
    Genesis 1000-Redhead Q100 Q1400

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Dahl View Post
    Rich guessing no rust allowed they are probably in better shape than most in ATL lots of humid weather your going to get more rust.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast