The Q1000, my favorite

Mike Durso

TVWBB Super Fan
Funny thing...

The Q was rolling out when I had joined Weber. I was tasked with creating those little insulating extensions between the grill and the handle. I used those grills a lot when I was there but my main focus was on the charcoal -redesigning the 18 WSM, recreating the 14 and doing all the work on what became the 22 wsm. A lot on the performers and the reintro 26.

I have a big ol SS genesis, a bunch of charcoal grills, a go-anywhere.

I think it was about a year or so ago I was at a community garage sale at the college I teach at. There was a Q1000 on a collapsible cart for a whole $10. I don't think it had even been used! Instructions an all.

I brought it home and my wife was like.. Another?

But I have to tell you the cast iron grates do a fantastic job, I'm using a whole lot less propane, lots and lots of pluses while the Genesis just glares with disgust at the Q.

I may add a thermometer to it, I think I have a few laying around. But really.. its working fine, I'm not sure why I'd even bother.

Happy grilling y'all!

I actually think it may not be a 1000, but whatever I have is like the 1000 of today.

I save a ton on gas when I cook 1/2 doz sausages and a foil wrap of onions and green peppers, for instance.. Pre heat is faster as well.

Love my q220 but still looking for a 100. Soooo, why were the part you worked on between the frame and body made unavailable ? They break and yet weber expects one to buy a whole side frame to replace it. One of webers dumbest ideas. It irritates me to no end knowing I have broken parts on my q and i cant get it from weber.

Love my q220 but still looking for a 100. Soooo, why were the part you worked on between the frame and body made unavailable ? They break and yet weber expects one to buy a whole side frame to replace it. One of webers dumbest ideas. It irritates me to no end knowing I have broken parts on my q and i cant get it from weber.

I also had a spacer break. I just put my Q200 back together without it. Seems fine. I think though that the OP was speaking of the handle spacers on the lid though and not the body spacers that break so easily.

Last edited:
Ok, thought it was all the spacers as they are made of some odd material. I'm sure both of mine on the rear leg were broken in handling at some point. I never handled it roughly or dropped it.

Yah, Weber doesn't sell those separately. I have rehabbed several Q grills and on about half of them at least one of those spaces were broken. It seems like they are made out of something like that redish clay terracotta pot material. I am sure they are something different, but that is what they remind me of. Very fragile and if one falls out of the frame, it is going to be in pieces when you find it on the ground. I haven't found a handle one broken, but the frame mount ones are quite often broken. It seems like Weber could sell them individually.

Love weber but then they pull a stunt like this spacer and it just puts that sour taste in yer mouth you can't get rid of. My first thought was that it was compressed carbon. I don't know metal but it is something that doesn't transfer heat well.

Love weber but then they pull a stunt like this spacer and it just puts that sour taste in yer mouth you can't get rid of. My first thought was that it was compressed carbon. I don't know metal but it is something that doesn't transfer heat well.

When mine fell off onto the ground in pieces, it felt like some sort of ceramic or hard plastic.

Yah, I am not sure what they are made of, but it seems like some kind of "ceramic". I wish some aftermarket place would make them. I would imagine you can make them for pennies each and since they seem to be such a problem and Weber doesn't stock them, there should be a market. Selling them through several of the online parts sites would probably be the way to go.

Yeah.. I read all the posts. Think of how I feel about my SS Genesis that's falling apart simply from weather...

I will take a look at my 100 to see what that piece is. It may be necessary for the safety of the part or to meet a CE/UL requirement for heat and touch. The only part I had created was that extension for the handle, mostly for CE/UL and to give a little knuckle clearance.

Maybe there's a decent substitute with something. Don't forget the old handles for the grills were wood.....

The frame spacers are made of the same material as is the spacers for the handle but differant size. I searched a lot for something to use but no luck. And wood worked rather well ! On my q handle I put a piece of wood in the indentation.

I could not find them before either. My Q320 is missing 1 and I have been using nylon spacers and surprisingly they have not melted. But I like to put things back as original as possible and it had been bugging me.

Back