Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Operation BBQ Relief: Give $50 and I'll send you a gift

Thank You to All of You that Donated !!!

OBR released some numbers today...

HURRICANE HARVEY FINAL TOTALS
    We served our last meals in Houston on Friday Sept 8th and the team over in the Victoria area ended meal service over the weekend. Over the 11 days of the deployment our volunteers help provide 371,760 hot bbq meals. As we were ramping down in these areas we looked at other areas that may need additional help outside of Houston and towards Corpus Christi. In talking to communities and other organizations we felt it was time to bring Hurricane Harvey response to an end and prepare for Hurricane Irma. Below are the meal stats by day:

Hot Meals Served

Day 1 - 16,090

Day 2 - 23,625

Day 3 - 43,200

Day 4 - 43,350

Day 5 - 29,800

Day 6 - 45,760

Day 7 - 45,760

Day 8 - 55,575

Day 9 - 33,350

Day 10 - 29,950

Day 11 - 5,500

Total 371,760

Statistics on what it took to put out 335,460 meals:

158,872 pounds of raw pork

18,588 #10 cans of vegetables

12,392 full-size aluminum pans and lids (we sent 40% of the meals out in bulk containers that held 250-750 servings so did not use as many pans as normal)
    KCBS, SCA, Operation BBQ Relief

Pardon me, Bob, but what criteria do relief units, such a BBQ-R, use to determine when it's time to pull out? Sounds like their services may be needed longer for such grand-scale disasters.

Sorry, curiosity got the best of me.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", & Royal Oak Lump / Briquettes

As Chris noted, OBR is getting ready to provide hot BBQ meals in Irma's wake...

David Marks posted this earlier today...

Ok my Florida Friends and Family. Operation BBQ Relief is planning our disaster feeding plan for the state. We are going to need volunteers and cash donations. We have a lot of options for sites at this time and will decide where we set up based upon infrastructure and need. We may set up multiple sites or one mega site. I believe we will be serving some function of 75,000 plus hot BBQ meals a day once we are set up. These meals are high quality and nutritionally complete. If you want to be a part of an organization and event that is wholesome to the core, please register as a volunteer. If you don't have time but can afford to donate, please do. If you want to help your community and fellow man, get involved. We will need hundreds of volunteers a day. As many of you know, we just wrapped up feeding 371,000 hot BBQ Meals in Texas in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey. Our resources are taxed and our volunteers are tired but resting up.

From a financial standpoint, 100% of all donations go to feeding first responders and people affected by disasters. We do fundraise as well and for every $1.00 we spend we get $1.50 back. Disaster funds never pay for fundraising and most fundraising funds go to disasters. We do have some meager expenses in trucks, tailers, a modest rental warehouse, insurance, and maintenance. All in all, 90% of all funds go on the plate serving people hot BBQ meals. Check us out at www.operationbbqrelief.org .

To make Monetary Donations:
    https://operationbbqrelief.org/apis/volunteer/donation

To Volunteer Your Time:
    https://operationbbqrelief.org/…/volunteer/home/registration

I do hope and look forward to seeing you all safe and sound serving hot BBQ Meals in Florida in a few days. Be safe.

Thank Q

David

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty James View Post
    Pardon me, Bob, but what criteria do relief units, such a BBQ-R, use to determine when it's time to pull out? Sounds like their services may be needed longer for such grand-scale disasters.

Sorry, curiosity got the best of me.
    Hi Rusty,

OBR's operation is managed to the minutest detail and is, in part, a reason for their success. As such meal requests are received a day ahead. They have been working with the faith based community, local governments, county and state governments and first responders agencies. I would take a guess that the decision to pull out was with mutual agreement between all of the above player as well as the reduction in the day ahead meal requests.

Their services are now needed in Florida. Based on some earlier posts, they are already on their way.

Let us not forget that those who volunteered to help are unpaid volunteers, of which they will need more for their Florida response !

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Bass; 09-10-2017 at 07:30 PM.

Excellent. Thanks much, Bob.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", & Royal Oak Lump / Briquettes

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bass View Post
    OBR's operation is managed to the minutest detail and is, in part, a reason for their success. As such meal requests are received a day ahead. They have been working with the faith based community, local governments, county and state governments and first responders agencies. I would take a guess that the decision to pull out was with mutual agreement between all of the above player as well as the reduction in the day ahead meal requests.
    From the original statement from OBR, which fits with Bob's comment:

"We served our last meals in Houston on Friday...In talking to communities and other organizations (around Houston) we felt it was time to bring Hurricane Harvey response to an end and prepare for Hurricane Irma."

Hey folks, with Hurricane Irma in the books and who knows what else on the way throughout the rest of hurricane season, I'm continuing my offer of a TVWB WSM stainless steel bottle opener as a gift to anyone that makes a $50 donation to Operation BBQ Relief. Just forward by email a copy of the donation receipt dated 9/12 or later along with your mailing address and I'll drop one in the mail to you.

Thanks for helping provide a warm, comforting BBQ meal to those displaced from their homes, to first responders, etc.

See top of this thread for the donation link and photos of the opener.

Our friend Harry Soo of Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ made the trek to Florida, to an undisclosed location near Estero, FL, to cook barbecue as part of the Operation BBQ Relief team. He's been posting a few photos and comments on his Facebook page...make sure to check them out, and I'm sure he'll provide a complete blog post of the experience when he gets back.

https://www.facebook.com/SlapYoDaddyBBQ/

Good work, Harry...continuing to spread BBQ love! I'm going to send you a TVWB WSM stainless steel bottle opener as a small token of appreciation for your efforts to support OBR.

Got my opener, looks awesome, Thank you Chris. I'm in the untouched part of Texas, but watching the outpouring here of help from all over has been amazing. We were collecting items at work, and we got amazon packages randomly one afternoon. They were some of the requested relief items that had been ordered by people in New York and shipped to us so we could truck them down. So many examples of how awesome people can be.

With the opening of general aviation airport in Key West, Operation BBQ is currently delivery BBQ meals to Keys West. Meals are being airlifted by Operation Airdrop.
    https://www.facebook.com/opairdrop/
    https://www.operation-airdrop.com/

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast