Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One rub to rule them all...? (Average Rub)

One rub to rule them all...? (Average Rub)

I have taken 20 (mostly pork) rub recipes, found what percentage of the total recipe each ingredient is, and averaged all 20. I've come up with the literal "Average Rub".

It started about a year ago with a few slow times at work and a spreadsheet, plus a few recipes I found in books from Aaron Franklin, Myron Mixon, Bill Gillespie, Stephen Raichlen, etc. Then I tried out a few other recipes I found here and elsewhere and liked them (K Kruger's, HeyGrillHey's sweet rub, Southern Succor, Memphis Dust, Mike Mill's Magic Dust). Every time I dug a rub, I added the recipe to my spreadsheet.

A few days ago, I saw how insane I was and decided to waste a little more time averaging everything together into one "perfect" 2-cup (about what my empty Parmesan cheese shaker holds) pork/chicken/sometimes beef recipe.

I left all salts out of the averages, since I prefer to add salt by itself before any rub, and different meats benefit from different amounts of salt. Plus, laying down salts first makes the meat "sweat" and the rub sticks without a binder. I also left out any amount that averaged to be smaller than 1/2 of a teaspoon, since I had to draw the line somewhere.

I'll hopefully be trying this in the next week, or so, and let you all know how amazing, bland, or amazingly bland it is. Maybe it'll be the perfect all-purpose rub. Who knows. I just thought it would be interesting.

Brown Sugar - 8 Tbsp, 1 tsp
    Paprika - 5 Tbsp, 1 tsp
    Turbinado/White Sugar - 4 Tbsp
    Coarse Black Pepper - 3 Tbsp, 2 tsp
    Granulated Garlic - 3 Tbsp
    (Ancho) Chili Powder - 2 Tbsp, 2 tsp
    Onion Powder - 2 Tbsp
    Cayenne/Chipotle Powder - 1 Tbsp
    Ground Mustard - 2 tsp
    Ground Cumin - 1/2 Tbsp
    Celery Seed - 1 tsp
    Thyme - 1 tsp
    Ground Ginger - 1/2 tsp
    WSM 14.5", Spirit 700 redhead, Genesis Silver B

TVWBB Emerald Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    All great inventions begin as trial & error. Be sure to let us know the outcome

One word of advice though: remember, the star of the show is the MEAT. The spices have to play second fiddle.
    Last edited by Len Dennis; 08-31-2017 at 12:34 PM.
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

100% agreed. The quality of the meats, cooking temps, and finish temps have made a much bigger difference to me.

I'm 8 times out of 10 just a SPOG man for beef and a SPOG+sugar+heat for pork. I just got bored at work and wondered what a combo would be like.

This is sort of like the IBM Watson of barbecue rubs...can Excel come up with a good rub? I'm curious to find out how it turns out.

TVWBB Gold Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    I like the individual ingredients. I tried making a rub on my own and threw the kitchen sink at it and it wound up pretty mediocre. Let us know how this turns out!
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

TVWBB Fan
    Sort of like a chili contest I read about, Guy buys sample of all the contestants chili, mixes them all together , enters the averaged mix, and won first place.

That mix looks about as good as most I've seen.

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JJackson View Post
    I just got bored at work and wondered what a combo would be like.
    LOL! If you're getting "bored at work" maybe we should give your boss a call. He might change that up for you.

Sounds like a grand plan and a great pastime and effort (I like fooling with spreadsheets too).
    Bill: WSM 22.5 BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 : Maverick ET-733 : BHG Gas Grill: His & Hers John Deere Lawn Tractors

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Elwell View Post
    LOL! If you're getting "bored at work" maybe we should give your boss a call. He might change that up for you.

Sounds like a grand plan and a great pastime and effort (I like fooling with spreadsheets too).
    Ha! Unfortunately, it was a time when there was legitimately a stop in work flow and they were asking volunteers to go home. I had a brand new baby at home and didn't want to lose the money, so I took advantage of their shortsighted workflow management for a few days.

I mixed the Average Rub together (or a version of average :-)). I ended up using white pepper instead of black pepper because I was tired of looking at it in spice rack. I used chipotle powder for the chili powder and cayenne powder for cayenne/chipotle. I don't know? Maybe using the white pepper was a bad idea? The celery seed is definitely distinguishable. I never left salt out of a rub before. I sprinkled some kosher salt on a pork shoulder roast and will add the rub in the morning and smoke it.
    SJS/Mini WSM,

TVWBB Emerald Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Abbott View Post
    I mixed the Average Rub together (or a version of average :-)). I ended up using white pepper instead of black pepper because I was tired of looking at it in spice rack. I used chipotle powder for the chili powder and cayenne powder for cayenne/chipotle. I don't know? Maybe using the white pepper was a bad idea? The celery seed is definitely distinguishable. I never left salt out of a rub before. I sprinkled some kosher salt on a pork shoulder roast and will add the rub in the morning and smoke it.
    White pepper instead of black is good as it doesn't leave those black specks on the food (when appearance is important, like when making a cream sauce). No salt in the rub is a great way to go when you want more of the spice flavour but not more of the salt.

Good way to do it (as you found out).
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast