Hello from Ohio!

Kyle L

Hello all, I have been cooking on a Weber kettle for 4-5 years now and love it and was going to try and tackle smoking on the kettle but after doing some extensive reading it seems that smoking a brisket on a kettle may require me to sit at the kettle all day, as much fun as that sounds I unfortunately wouldn't be doing it often. I took the plunge for a WSM 18.5 last night that I found on CL new for $195.00. (seemed like a reasonable price at $100.00 off retail) Only flaws I could see were that the edge of the lid is scraped (no dents) and the water pan is nicked up a bit but it does not appear to ever have been used. Should I be concerned with either one of these issues? I look forward to learning a lot about the art of smoking! :cool:

Hey Kyle, welcome to the forum. Sound like you hit a good score on CL. You'll love it here. I'm as newbie. Been smoking for a few years but only one or two cooks per year. I wouldn't worry about a nick here or a little chip there. As long as it does not impact your ability to control the temps you should be in good shape.

Welcome aboard Kyle. I doubt that the imperfections will be a problem. You'll like the WSM. Smoking on it is much easier than the kettle in my opinion. Tons of good info here and on the Virtual Weber Bullet website - link above. Feel free to ask questions.

Thanks guys! Can't wait for my first smoke. I was worried the nicks would hurt the longevity of the smoker...they aren't deep but I can see some silver, not sure how thick the black (porcelain?) coating is and if it was through it if it would hurt it or the food. Anyhow sounds like I'm good to go, just need to get some wood and some meat!

Welcome Kyle. Once that unit gets smoked up, in all likelyhood those nicks will get covered with "gunk". You could also use some bbq/grill hi-temp paint to cover them up.

Make sure you clean it well then I'd spray the paint in a small jar or can and use an artist's brush to hide the nicks.

Welcome Kyle. Congrats on the nice find. A little high heat BBQ paint will fix your smoker up and your ready to go.

Kyle good buy on your WSM , i got mine off CL about 5 years ago and love it great smoker less fuss, great food. Enough said.

Back