Picked up a Spirit 500 LX

JKim in MA

TVWBB Pro
I spent most of this Saturday working on the Skyline rehab, much to the chagrin of the wife.

She went to run an errand, and tells me that there's a free Weber grill by the side of the road 5 minutes from my house. She said it looked like junk.

I decided to go take a look since I too had to run an errand later that evening and I was heading in that direction.

True enough... it was a Weber propane 2-burner with a Durawood work table. Structurally it was in very good condition. It was so small that I didn't even have to take the lid off to have it fit inside my car.

It needs new grates, new igniter, new drip tray, new FBs, etc etc. It was also missing the drip pan holder and the drip pan. The black lid also has hazy porcelain. Honestly, why did I even bring this home?

However, it did fire up on the first try even with the iffy igniter and the rear burner being 50% plugged.... and proceeded to heat up to 550 degrees like a good Weber should.

I finally got around to removing the control panel to read the Model number and serial number this morning... It's a Spirit 500 LX from 1995! It's old enough to drink!

I might have to fix it up "just because"

36918058025_b3ff161094_h.jpg

More pics to follow as the rehab starts.

Looks like a good parts grill if nothing else. But reclaiming those oldies is fun. I have a Genesis Redhead 1000 from 1993 and love it.
I have a pretty much junk 2 burner in the garage as well. Problem is, not a whole lot of parts will transfer to three burner grills. I too am debating the wisdom of rehabbing that one.

Good to hear Larry. I am scheduled to go on a trip up north to a cabin for a week. They have a charcoal grill that I can use, but I don't want to deal with coal and don't care to use a grill that many others have abused for two years. I can just imagine the crud in that thing. So, we are going with another couple. I was thinking I could grab one of the Q100's I have for sale right now, but that would require me completely cleaning it back up afterwards to resale. Plus, 4 adults might be pushing it for a Q100. I can imagine trying to do steaks for 4 on one of those things. I also have a Q200 that is for sale, but again, I don't want to dirty it up, just to have to completely reclean it for resale again. That brings me to an older nice little 2 burner I have in the garage. I think the burners are good and I think the grill grates are OK, but the flavo bars are gone. I think I pulled them out long ago and probably because they were shot. I am toying with the idea of taking that thing along. I could always buy a set of flavo bars and it wouldn't be too expensive.

What do you think you would do? Anyone?

I have a full size PU and since we are going to stay in a cabin and not drag the travel trailer along, we should have plenty of room, even with the canoe on the cargo rack. I have to go out and assess the little 2 burner a bit more to see if it will be feasible.. I am hoping to find an old set of "serviceable" flavo bars laying around that would fit. I don't care if they are ate up as long as they are structurally sound.

That is "extreme grilling"!

Have you considered just donating the two burner to your friend with the cabin? That would be a nice little gift!

Bruce, I would just take the Q2XX and simply clean it up and tell a prospective buyer you "tested" it HAH!

LOL, I hear you. It still needs lots of work. A proper set of flavo bars, some decent cooking grates and proper cleaning if I want to resell it. Which I would do, but, the lid also has that "haze" in it. I may just fix it up without putting much money into it and donate it to someone or some organization. I think I have a new set of grates that would fit it and could either buy the fifth piece of angle iron or buy an aftermarket set of flavo bars and then it would be a nice grill for little investment.

If you have a full-size Pop-Up - maybe a good opportunity to make the "ultimate portable / ultimate tailgater Weber Gasser":
Create a "Vertically-Shortenable" Pop-Up Weber Gasser than when shrunk, will fit inside your PU or the back of your truck...

If you're handy with a Welder, or know somebody who is - something like:
Replace the Verticals of a 2-Burner Weber like your new Blue one with a hand-crank scissors-lift (get a cheap one from Harbor Freight & adapt it)
Or adapt bars from the frame of a folding wheelchair, which would be nice and sturdy
Or telescoping Vertical cart bars with the holes and spring-loaded pins

Last edited:
That's a mid 2000s Weber Spirit, based on the 2005 Genesis Silver B. It doesn't have the Thermoset swing table and the control panel is more plain jane.

Back