Had an absolute blast cooking on a 34 year old Weber kettle today....

DubfromGA

TVWBB Fan
I'd smoked some ribs and a pork shoulder yesterday and stashed them in the fridge with the plan to reheat them at today's shootout at a buddy's farm.

We had a great time.....ran through a heap of ammo and the crowd ate well.

Corn was a piece of cake....they loved it.

Frozen Green Giant mini-ears. Slathered with mayo and heavily topped with grated Parmesan cheese & fresh ground pepper.....Put the pan of semi frozen indirect on his 34 year old Weber and let it roll along for a while, rolled them around at intervals and then took each out and placed directly over coals. I simply doesn't get any easier than this. They were raving over it. One guy declared during conversation that he hates mayo. He ate 4 pieces of corn and said it was great, lol.

Pulled pork and ribs were reheated on the Weber, too. Pulled started out in sammiches then was simply piled on their plates.

They tried all the sauces on the ribs. Since we were shooting in South Carolina, I felt compelled to take a mustard-based sauce. I typically don't go for this stuff.....but this one was really good. Hickory, mustard and tangy. All were liked.

Gonna take a while for me to recoup the ammo cost.

I did a bad job of getting pics today.

I did snap a few of the guns we were shooting.

One guy is a big wheelgun fan....I'm more into semi-autos. You can see who's side of the table is who's, lol.

The Henry .45/70 was a big hit. We broke it in nicely with some fun shooting at reactive steel targets.

One of the guns brought today really intrigued me......it was a pistol made on a Wilson Combat lower. Supercool little .223.

He'd sighted it in with a zero magnification red dot. Censored Pointing to the last shots made before the final click adjustments. His next three shots from 65 yards with zero magnification were the three dots in the bullseye.

Fun day.....finally back home and got a good bit of gun cleaning ahead of me over the next couple days.

I had a chocolate kettle probably right about that vintage. One of my worst decisions in life was to sell it. Some nice cooks, the sauces look pretty dang good too. That Henry is a beauty. Been looking at the Marlin 1895 (yeah, I saw Jurassic World) but it's a hard sale on the bride due to a surplus of lever actions already in the library. She says I have to sell one, to get one. I can't give up my iron....Looks like you had a great day

DSCN1821.jpg

Whoa! Looks like a rootin' tootin' SHOOTIN' Good time...
Glad to hear about the good eats and good times

That grill is a dead-ringer for the one that my Dad had in the 1970's when I was growing-up
(Except ash-catcher did not have rolled lip around it - it was more like the lower half of a sharp-edged UFO, but same color)

I've been thinking about saving-up for a semi-long-range plinker
either "classic" Springfield
Semi-Modern, like a FN-FAL (semi-auto conversion)
Or if I could swing it, a SCAR-17

Friends told me that the Henry in Cowboy .45 Colt is also supposed to be fun and semi-cheap to shoot
Stay safe

Looks like a smashing good time y'all had, Dub.

I haven't fired a gun in years, but there was one time I fired one of those Dirty Harry pistols (.44 magnum), and it recoiled so hard my hands went up to the 12:00 O'clock position. My favorites were shotguns and small caliber weapons.

Back