Smoking Ribs and Foiling??

Beau_Jess

Hey Guys,

A while back I smoked some ribs but Texas Crutched in a pan to save some time but I guess the steam was too much as it caused the rub to basically dissolve on top of the ribs. Basically bark was gone. So I guess I had too much liquid in the pan or wrapping the ribs tightly in foil helps keep the bark?
Not sure....Any ideas?

Thanks

Wrap the ribs tightly as you can in foil to keep them from steaming. The other option is don't wrap. I like to wrap mine in foil though because my wife likes them super tender.

Beau_Jess,

You are dealing with two different styles of ribs. I believe using foil for the first three hours in a smoker, drain the liquid, continue with open foil for about another hour to firm up the ribs, then remove foil for 1/2 hour or so for smoke flavor, then sauce: as restaurant style. Meat falls off the bone, little bark. The little young lady you are taking out to dinner does not have to show her fangs. Just a fork is needed to eat.

The southern style is ribs all the way uncovered in the smoker. Bark, smoke flavor, slight chew, correctly done the meat does not remain on the bone.

All is up to the cook and those eating.

Craig H

The oft-quoted 3-2-1 method indicates 2 hours in foil, which in my humble experience is way too long. I think the only real reason to foil is to preserve a nice color while they're getting to proper tenderness or to get a bit softer bark. My typical use for foil is to wrap the ribs tightly and put them in the cooler for a 30 minute nap before serving. A lot of people seem to like "fall off the bone" tenderness, but others like a little firmness and tooth. Personal choice.

Jeff

I think on Monday I will smoke some baby backs at 275° using a 2-1-1 method. How often do you guys mop during the 1st "2" hours?

Bark is more important to me on pulled or and brisket, not so much on ribs so I always foil. 2.5-3 unfoiled, 1 hour or till tender/temp foiled, never needed to mop them after the fact but may give it a go sometime.

I have smoked ribs often for 30 years. I think I 've tried almost every method and they always were eaten. But my personal favorite is just put on a simple rub then in the smoker and let them cook.

I did some baby backs yesterday for the first time in a long while and ask for some tips among some FB friends, many of whom do ribs more than I do. Everyone of them said to foil but my experience is that they end up too soft, which I'm sure is a personal preference but I went with my gut and left them on, untouched for the entire smoke. My WSM wanted to settle in at 235-240 as opposed to the 225 I prefer but I rolled with it and at 4 hours they were perfect. I just think it's a comfort thing, if foiling works for you by all means continue but great ribs can be had without it if like a good chew and a nice bark.

I use to foil my ribs but I went back to doing it with no foil. I like it better that way.
just my preference though.

I'm conflicted. I like good bark and a bit of chew. However, I seem to be alone in this. My family and friends MUCH prefer fall off the bone tender. So, I wait until the bark is set, then foil until the degree of tenderness that I'm lookin' for appears. Hey, they are all good, huh?

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

"So, I wait until the bark is set, then foil until the degree of tenderness that I'm lookin' for appears."

Add my family to the list too !

I have always looked at foiling as a way to save time. But when I do ribs, I am not in a hurry. Don't be in a rush, they will be done when they are done.
And the aluminum foil will be happy that you spared it from the smoker.....

Have you guys ever had the Bark on your ribs take on a grainy texture after completion?? Like something went haywire with the rub during the foiling process. Too much rub maybe? Maybe the sauce didn't mix well with the rub?? Maybe foiling caused some sort of problem there. I don't know. I may try using less run rub this time and skip the brown sugar added during the foil.

Have you guys ever had the Bark on your ribs take on a grainy texture after completion?? Like something went haywire with the rub during the foiling process. Too much rub maybe? Maybe the sauce didn't mix well with the rub?? Maybe foiling caused some sort of problem there. I don't know. I may try using less run rub this time and skip the brown sugar added during the foil.

Yes - I've had this exact thing happen to me one time during a 'foiled' rib attempt (bad pun intended).

I think it was due to putting the rib in the foil meat side down in too much liquid and for too long. I also served them immediately after opening the foil pouches as they were literally 'fall off the bone'. Tender, yes. But the bark was soggy and like you said 'grainy'.

I've gotten much better results foiling meat side up and cutting the foil time down to an hour or less. But also putting the meat back on to firm up the bark before serving.

Back