Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Off Topic - Build Mod for HM

TVWBB Member
    Damn you guys. I popped in here because I built a new HM I was going to use for a second drum smoker and now I have to build one of these things instead...

I guess it’ll be alright. Have been doing 50-70lbs of bacon out of my one PBC every other week for a couple months now. I guess I can make the big one and do 100lbs all in one batch instead of the 2-3batches I have been doing.

TVWBB Platinum Member Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    Yeah that thing looks friggin' awesome, a real pro-looking job there and real clean with the integrated temperature monitoring.
    I'm that HeaterMeter guy what ruins everybody's free time.

TVWBB Wizard
    Quote Originally Posted by JKalchik View Post
    Give some consideration to running a bead of weld around the sealing surface on the case where the gasket would rest.
    I thought about doing that, but I didn't like the look of it.

TVWBB Wizard
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thibault View Post
    Damn you guys. I popped in here because I built a new HM I was going to use for a second drum smoker and now I have to build one of these things instead...

I guess it’ll be alright. Have been doing 50-70lbs of bacon out of my one PBC every other week for a couple months now. I guess I can make the big one and do 100lbs all in one batch instead of the 2-3batches I have been doing.
    You will love it. If you do make the big one, read up on some of the changes that it needs to make it more user friendly. Like for instance, a removable charcoal grate. I am thinking of cutting mine out and making it removable.

TVWBB Wizard
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Mayland View Post
    Yeah that thing looks friggin' awesome, a real pro-looking job there and real clean with the integrated temperature monitoring.
    The only regret, is not making the recessed area bigger. It's a tight fit, as I did not account for the probes and TC connection.

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bostwick View Post
    The only regret, is not making the recessed area bigger. It's a tight fit, as I did not account for the probes and TC connection.
    And I was thinking mine was a tight fit, and I expanded my HM pocket from frame member to frame member!

I will echo the removable charcoal grate.

I will also politely suggest hangin' out on the Smoker Builder forums and waiting for Frank's product announcement. I got some details from him 3 weeks on the phone ("YOU SUCK, DUDE!") There's a couple of people here that I've been telling that you don't want to do what I've done, you *REALLY* want to wait for what Frank is working on. Really, wait for it, it should be worth it.

Benjamin, what part of IL? I escaped Chicago's western 'burbs 12 years ago.

TVWBB Member
    Jk, I live near Elgin. Been in the West/Far-west suburbs for about 13 years. From Connecticut originally.

Looking to get out of Illinois but its at least 8yrs away.

TVWBB Wizard
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thibault View Post
    Jk, I live near Elgin. Been in the West/Far-west suburbs for about 13 years. From Connecticut originally.

Looking to get out of Illinois but its at least 8yrs away.
    It's a small world.

I lived in Elgin, until 2015. Lived off of big timber and combs rd. I finally was able to move back to Washington st. After trying to get out of Illinois for 16 years.

TVWBB Fan
    Heh.... TINY world, John.

We escaped in 2006, lived in Bloomingdale for 12 years. We got out towards Elgin a bit, yes, there's a few bits that we avoided......

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bostwick View Post
    It's a small world.

I lived in Elgin, until 2015. Lived off of big timber and combs rd. I finally was able to move back to Washington st. After trying to get out of Illinois for 16 years.
    I lived right near there for a while. From end of 2014 to middle of 2016 I was in Gilbertís off of 72. And then for a year I lived in Gilbertís right next to Coombs and Big Timber.

Now Iím west of Randall behind the target.

Small world for sure. Lol

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast