Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Off Topic - Build Mod for HM

TVWBB Super Fan
    Long overnight smoke. 2 packer briskets, 2 pork butts, then 4 quartered chickens. Power supply issue.... use a 2A supply. Air flow... check. I went back to my previous brand of charcoal, not a hiccup.

I lit it off a couple of hours before a major straight line storm rolled eastward over the top of me. Only a brief power outage here, but less than a quarter of a mile away, they're still without power 15+ hours later. Internet service for me was down for 15 hours. The village here looks like a disaster area, trees 2' in diameter have been tipped out. Chainsaws have been running all day.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by JKalchik View Post
    Next problem.... pit sensor location. AIR FLOW...... had it sitting above and too close to one of the briskets, it was reading artificially low for most of the night, so the cook chamber was hotter than the HM thought it was. Fan & damper were 100% WFO for the entire cook so far, as far as the HM is concerned, it's never gotten up to temp.
    <scratches head> Got another brisket running tonight (playing games with the firewall, sorry, no online visibility.....) and having issues getting the cook chamber up to temp. Looks like I may be having problems with ash bridging over the firebox grate, preventing airflow from the inlet through the firebox into the cook chamber. I gave the grate a healthy shake and a shot from a 50k BTU propane burner and the cook chamber temp is going back up nicely again.

What are you all using as insulation for these? It appears maybe a rock wool product? I have considering adding insulation to my vertical smoker for better efficiency.
    Thanks.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Yes, a rigid rock wool board type. Has to withstand fairly high temps. Roxul RHT80.

TVWBB Wizard
    Quote Originally Posted by JKalchik View Post
    Yes, a rigid rock wool board type. Has to withstand fairly high temps. Roxul RHT80.
    Roxul to expensive, you can get rock wool at Zoro.com much cheaper and free shipping

TVWBB Pro
    And for the wool, buy a good bread knife. It cuts the wool very easily, plus, it's an easy sell with the wife. Just tell her you're buying a bread knife.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by WBegg View Post
    And for the wool, buy a good bread knife. It cuts the wool very easily, plus, it's an easy sell with the wife. Just tell her you're buying a bread knife.
    I used an old hacksaw blade. Yes, it cuts pretty easily.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516