Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Servo requires "tapping"

TVWBB Member

Servo requires "tapping"

I notice that my servo sometimes doesn't move. It seems to require a bit of tapping on the RD3 case to get it to wake up. Anyone else have this problem? I'm guessing it's because the servo is a cheap one, just wondering if there was another possibility. I have several more, so I'll probably just change it out.
    Primo Oval XL

Is the cover screwed down too tight?

WSM 22.5; 22.5 OTS; MINI

TVWBB Diamond Member
    if the servo had to be forced into the body it may be binding, if so, widen the slot a bit until you dont have to force the servo in.
    I created the Roto Damper, RD3, HMv4.2 sliding back case, "air-burner" and the "ping-pong" valve in my quest for delicious "set and forget" BBQ.

TVWBB Member
    I don't think it's too tight, but I'll check that.
    Primo Oval XL

With the servo powered down, you should be able to smoothly move the servo arm back and forth using the same force. if it requires more force at some points it's probably got some flat spots on the gearing.

TVWBB Diamond Member
    Be careful manually rotating the servo, you can damage them easily doing that...
    I created the Roto Damper, RD3, HMv4.2 sliding back case, "air-burner" and the "ping-pong" valve in my quest for delicious "set and forget" BBQ.

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphTrimble View Post
    Be careful manually rotating the servo, you can damage them easily doing that...
    Understood. Is there another way you recommend testing the servo?
    Primo Oval XL

TVWBB Diamond Member
    plug the servo in and leave it loose and make it move, if it doesnt do what it is supposed you have a bad servo or a bad controller. You can get a servo tester for about 3 bucks on ebay if you want to identify if it is the controller (HM) or the servo at issue.

TVWBB Member
    I'm trying another servo now and am having a different problem. This one is moving back and forth wildly and then returning to the same spot it was before. It also feels hot to the touch when not moving!

Edit: Getting the same thing from two different Tower Pro MG90S servos. My previous servo was a Tower Pro SG90.
    Last edited by AJones; 09-04-2017 at 08:50 AM.
    Primo Oval XL

TVWBB Honor Circle Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    Aww your HeaterMeter just misses me so it is going into withdraw shakes! If the servo is just goes nuts and all over the place, it is because the 5V power at the servo end is dipping to the point that it loses all logic control. You can fix this by putting a capacitor on the servo end of the cable (inside the RD3 box). Testing here, just a 100uF capacitor seems to work, although it never hurts to go larger if you have one. If you don't have one you can swing by my place and I can hook you up.
    Last edited by Bryan Mayland; 09-05-2017 at 10:36 AM.
    I'm that HeaterMeter guy what ruins everybody's free time.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast