Smoked Oysters

Craig C

TVWBB Fan
Had them once at the Peddler's Steakhouse in Gatlinburg and would like to try them on the WSM. Any one help?

When we celebrated my parents 50th anniversary on the Oregon coast we ate buckets of oysters. Didn't really smoke them in the strictest sense but, maybe five minutes indirect method on the kettle. This was maybe 25 years ago now and oysters are not found in the Great Lakes. The only thing about them that makes me a little sad!

I can't stand oysters but I was asked to cook them and I said I would, long as it was in their BBQ, not mine. My temp was probably 400 degrees, and it took approx. a half hour, maybe a tad longer to cook them. Any that open during the cooking process were tossed as those are "bad." I personally would have tossed them all, but....I hate oysters :)

Oh, Chuck! I'm so sorry you got so many "bad" ones! I wish I'd been there to help with the disposal!
Is it true that if they open they're bad? I just did as he said (toss any that open) Oysters are really popular here on the left coast, but left coast people are kinda funny if you ask me :)

They open when they're ready for the addition of a little sauce and eating! If they are open when you start they might need a tap, if they do not close, then toss them. They are Bivalves and many people (including myself) enjoy them raw! A half hour at 400 degrees would render the poor things to neoprene!
The best ones I ever had were on that trip! From Quilcene bay on Puget sound. A little salt, a large cocktail and a dozen on the half shell!

Landlubbers, sheesh, :cool: They're only bad if they are open when UNCOOKED, and they don't close when you tap on them, same with any shellfish.
We put Hard clams on the grill and they open in a few minutes, that's roasted clams 101, oysters the same. Shellfish cooks fast. Down in the Carolinas they do oysters on a solid grill flatop covered by the burlap bag they came in to steam roast.

cook them direct and when they open pull off and eat. make a butter/herb sauce. yum.

if they don't open after 8 to 10 minutes some people say toss.

Geo S. That's exactly what I'm talking about! Uncooked open, questionable at best, don't close of you tap them, so long Shelly!
Technique?
Scoop side of the closed shell on the grill few minutes, enjoy!

Back