Another Craigslist find

PeterL

TVWBB Member
Found another Q200 locally with cart, adapter hose, and original cover for $50. I am trying to think of a unique paint scheme for the lid since this one is beat. I was thinking of Alabama colors with the Alabama logo.

This one will need more TLC but the burner is almost new and it works like a charm already.

I'm going off topic, but I wonder if the product will work on wood surfaces with lead paint.

Good luck on your remodel project!

Peter: I Know you are following my thread on painting the lid. In your case, you should take the whole thing down to bare metal. I have done several and use a 4" angle grinder and 4" wire cup brush.

Here is a Q220 I did earlier this year. It was in the same type of condition as yours. I used the copper color Rustoleum Ultra. It is a "Satin" finish but I didn't use gloss on it either.

Wqb2OVH.jpg

And if you want to really clean up the inside, the angle grinder makes it a snap.
I used the angle grinder on the inside of the lid, but just simple green and household steel wool on the bottom inside. The black on the bottom inside is paint overspray from the factory.

T2RAXJ3.jpg

I still have to work on the cooking grate. It is so gunked up, I don't know if it is even salvageable. But, once that is done, the grill is ready to go.

Has anyone ever entertained the thought of using a pressure washer with steam to clean the inside (and outside) of a grill? Sounds like it would do an effective job.

For just cleaning ? High pressure steam will most likely strip the paint off. Had one at my shop and it would strip most stuff down to metal.

Peter: I Know you are following my thread on painting the lid. In your case, you should take the whole thing down to bare metal. I have done several and use a 4" angle grinder and 4" wire cup brush.

Here is a Q220 I did earlier this year. It was in the same type of condition as yours. I used the copper color Rustoleum Ultra. It is a "Satin" finish but I didn't use gloss on it either.

Wqb2OVH.jpg

Thanks Bruce. I am trying the Almond with clear gloss over that.

So I spent some time on the grill. Power washing, degreasing, sanding, wire brush etc. The cart cleaned up nicely, and the inside of the grill as well. I used the Rust Oleum High Heat flat black for the base.

Here is the lid after 2 coats of StoveBright Mojave Red paint (1200 degree paint from Amazon):

And here it is after 3 coats Mojave Red, and 2-3 coats of Rust Oleum Clear Gloss (2000 degree, also from Amazon):

And finally , here is a shot after I installed a Weber thermometer. Note that the sunlight really plays with the color. I was shooting for Alabama Crimson, and this Mojave Red is the closest I could find anywhere. I think it came out nice. Right now I am doing a few low temp fires as suggested on the Rust Oleum can in order to set the paint.

Last edited:
Here is the grill after I painted on the Alabama logo with Rust Oleum High Heat white paint. Not bad for a neophyte.

ROLL BAMA! ROLL TIDE!

So, how did you put the "A" on there? Was that free hand, or some kind of stencil?

Great job.

Back